There’s hardly a shooter anywhere who doesn’t know and love Magpul. From their wildly popular PMAG line of magazines, polymer stocks and other gun furniture, series of rifle slings and flip sights, and much more, they have spent their 21-year history becoming the first word in firearms accessories. One critical shooting accessory that sits on you rather than on your weapon is a quality set of eye protection. Your eyes are incredibly important organs and the shooting sports introduce inherent dangers to them. Good eye pro is an absolute must – and no, not just any old pair of sunglasses will do. They need to be ballistic rated so if you do experience some sort of spall or ricochet, the wayward fragment speeding toward your face at high speed won’t simply smash through your non-ballistic lens and shred your precious oculus anyway. You need the right face shield.
Fortunately, Magpul has gotten solidly into the lens game and now offers plenty of options for you to choose from – six models available now with two more coming soon. The newest of this eyewear line is the Helix, shipping now in both polarized and non-polarized versions. Magpul’s product description reads:
The Magpul Helix is designed to support your active lifestyle in all conditions by providing superior clarity, contrast, and impact protection whenever you need it. No matter what you’re up to, the rimless design gives you an uncompromised field of view, breathability, and professional-grade eye protection.
The Helix excels in humid or wet environments where moisture and condensation cause normal lenses to fog or collect water. Its lens and frame design sheds sweat and moisture, keeping your field of view clear. The interchangeable lens system also allows the wearer to transition to lower-light operations with a clear lens or facilitates easy replacement of the lenses when needed.
Like most of our eyewear line, the Helix is ballistic rated to Z87+ and MIL-PRF 32432 standards, and the lightweight frames are constructed of TR90NZZ for strength, flexibility, and impact protection.
Our Helix Replacement Lenses (MAG1098) will be available in all Helix lens and mirror combinations soon.
RUGGED AND RELIABLE
- Designed to combine rugged strength and flexibility with maximum overall coverage
- Outstanding impact resistance, even at low temperatures
- Chemical, UVA & B, and stress-crack resistant
- Coated stainless steel pins provide simple but dependable hinge functionality
- The lens and frame combination of the Helix is ballistic rated to Z87+ and MIL-PRF 32432 standards
- Frames are constructed of TR90NZZ, combining lightweight construction and extreme ballistic protection
SUPERIOR VISUAL QUALITY AND FLEXIBLE LENS SYSTEM
- Premium clarity, color and contrast
- Interchangeable lens system designed to optimize performance in any environment (replacement lenses available soon)
- Oleophobic treatment of lenses provides liquid and other chemical protection and added scratch resistance
- Anti-fog treatment keeps your lenses clear and your eyes on the action
- Anti-reflective coating on inside of lenses minimizes distracting reflections
COMFORTABLE AND COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR GEAR
- Padded low profile temples integrate smoothly under helmets, communication headsets and over the ear hearing protection
- Rubber nose and temple pads are overmolded to the frame for durability
- Fits medium to large faces
If you’re rocking throwaway gas station shades or flimsy hardware store $4 specials, it’s time to upgrade. There are plenty of good options out there from companies like Oakley, Revision, and more. Why not give Magpul’s eye pro a look? If you own a pair already or you decide to give them a test drive, let us know what you think! We look forward to your feedback in the comments below. Be safe out there! See you at the range.
Photos courtesy of Magpul.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.