Modular Driven Technologies (Canada) are makers of Chassis Systems and Accessories for Bolt Action Rifles.
The company was founded in 2009. Manufacturing takes place in Chilliwack BC, Canada. All their US sales and distribution is operated by their US entity company located in Sumas Washington, USA.
MDT’s LSS chassis (Light Sniper System) is well known in the market already, and just before SHOT Show 2019 it is now time for the second generation to get an introduction and start selling.
I appreciate when companies actually have their new products on stock as they are introduce, and not use exhibitions like SHOT to market products than might be available a year or two later. I an pretty sure I have every TFB reader on my side in this wish as well.
The LSS GEN2 chassis is designed for use with compact, short barrelled rifles to provide light-weight, accuracy improvement and consistency. A chassis like this will convert your bolt-action rifle to an external box magazine fed rifle, with improved accuracy and ergonomics.
Once converted, your rifle will accept AICS pattern magazines as well as AR-style pistol grips and buttstocks.
The new GEN 2 features include:
- weighs only 1.4 pounds
- ambidextrous magazine release
- M-LOK pattern attachment slots on the sides and bottom of the forend
- barricade-stop grooves integrated ahead of mag-well and a side-relieved mag well.
There are various actions available, and shipping has already started.
Below you can find MDT’s full description of the updated system:
LSS Gen2 Chassis System
Our MDT LSS Chassis System is onto the next generation.
The LSS Gen2 is an update of our popular LSS chassis. The LSS Gen2 chassis system now sports a bold and modern new look inspired by the contours of our more recent chassis lines like the ESS, ACC & LSS-XL Gen2, and is lighter than ever (1.3 to 1.7lb depending on the model).
The LSS Gen2 incorporates the following new features, in addition to everything the original LSS had to offer:
- Ambidextrous magazine release
- M-Lok pattern attachment slots on sides and bottom of the forend
- Barricade-stop grooves ahead of mag-well
- Side-relieved mag well
Our LSS chassis system was designed to be as compact as possible. The V-shaped bedding and free floated forend improve accuracy and ergonomics. The forend allows for barrel contours up to 1″ in diameter. The graphic on the right shows the two flat spots (V-block) where the action sits. The area below the action remains rounded to ultimate strength.
The chassis system is manufactured out of billet 6061-T6 aluminum and has been finished with Cerakote™ in Black or Flat Dark Earth (FDE). To keep this chassis system compact, it was designed for carbine AR-15 buttstocks. However, fixed buttstocks can be mounted with the use of a fixed stock adapter. Alternatively, our LSS-XL Gen2 chassis has a longer forend and was designed to accept fixed buttstocks without the use of the adapter.
The MDT LSS chassis system is currently manufactured for the following bolt action rifle platforms:
- Remington 700 Short Action
- Remington 700 Long Action
- Remington Model 7
- Remington Model 783
- Remington R700 Clones such as Bergara B14
- Savage Short Action, Models 10, 11, 12 and 16
- Savage Long Action, Models 110, 111, 112 and 116
- Savage Axis – Short Calibers
- Tikka T3 / T3x – Short Calibers
- Tikka T3 / T3x – Long Calibers using MDT 3.56 Magazine
- Mossberg MVP 5.56 (.223) using AR-15 Magazines
- Mossberg MVP 7.62 (.308) using AR-10 Magazines
- Mossberg Patriot Short Action
- Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard – Short Calibers (Only compatible with MDT Polymer magazines)
- Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard – Long Calibers
- Howa 1500 Mini Action -Short Calibers. (Only compatible with the OEM Magazines)
- Ruger M77 (Scout) Short Action
- Ruger American – Short Action
Mounting and Compatible Accessories
The LSS chassis is designed to accept any AR-15 buttstock and pistol grip (purchased separately), offering the option to customize from the wide variety of Accessories available on the market.
The LSS chassis uses AICS style external box style magazines in .223 and .308 caliber for Short Action and .300WM or .338LM AICS style magazines for Long Action rifles, and supports the installation of bolt-on MIL-STN-1913 accessory mounting rails. Mounting holes are spaced for Magpul style L5 (11 slots) and L3 (7 slots) rails (1.600” / 3.200”) to be used on the bottom of the forend up to 6.5″ in length.
Note: Long action magazines come in 4 different lengths: 3.560″, 3.715″, 3.775″ and 3.850″. The LSS chassis for long action uses 3.715 length magazines with the exception of the Tikka T3 which needs the 3.560″ length magazines.
The max thickness of recoil lug recommend is .350″ (8.9mm)
- Increases accuracy by up to 21%
- CNC machined from 6061 aluminum
- Cerakote finish in black or flat dark earth
- Hole spacing for Magpul L5 (11 slot) and L3 (7 slot) rails
- Designed for carbine AR-15 buttstocks
- Accepts most AR-15 pistol grips
- Lightweight, free-floating modular forend
- Will accommodate barrels up to 1″ diameter
- Compatible with AICS style magazines in .223 or .308 (SA) and 300WM, 30.06 (LA). (Long Action magazine length 3.715)
- Weight: 1.6lb – 1.8lb
What You Get, and What You Need
The LSS chassis system comes as a 1-piece chassis, with all required mounting hardware included. This includes new action screws and a screw for the pistol grip.
To complete this chassis on your rifle, the additional items you need to purchase are:
- Any AR-15 buttstock. For fixed buttstocks, you will need the fixed stock adapter, or consider using our LSS-XL Gen2 chassis.
- A buffer tube for your buttstock. (Both mil-spec and commercial work on our chassis)
- An AR-15 Pistol Grip. Ideally without a beavertail, or use a soft (bendable) beavertail.
- At least one magazine
If you prefer a longer forend, please also see our LSS-XL chassis System or our HS3 Chassis System.
There are som important notes for various rifles, please make sure you check the details for your rifle(s) before ordering.
Below: The dimensions shown are based on Remington 700 Short Action. It can be shorted significantly using a carbine (collapsible) buttstock. If you prefer using a fixed rifle stock MDT’s LSS-XL chassis is more appropriate.
The retail price for the LSS GEN 2 is in the region of $399.99 – $449.99, which is similar to MDT’s new chassis and brand Oryx which TFB has reported about as well.