Place this one in the ‘it’s not new, but it hasn’t received any press’ column. SureFire muzzle devices, especially their muzzle brakes and three-prong or four-prong flash hiders have been industry leaders for many years. The wide adoption of the SureFire SOCOM series of suppressors across the armed forces has driven the continuous refinement of flash and/or muzzle rise reduction (the WarComp family of muzzle devices combines both flash hiding and muzzle brake characteristics). For those who are more minimalist-minded, SureFire has released the SFA2-556 flash hider and SOCOM suppressor mount.
More SureFire @ TFB:
- [NRAAM 2022] The New Surefire EDC2-DFT Flashlight
- TFB Behind The Gun Podcast #40: Andrew and Joel with SureFire
- [SHOT 2022] NEW Surefire Turbo Series of Lights
- SILENCER SATURDAY #186: Lumens Or Decibels? The SureFire SF Ryder 22
Designed for use with blank firing adapters, the SFA2-556 also can be used as a mount for the current generation of SureFire suppressors. I just bought one from B&H Photo and it should be here in a few days, possibly in time for a New Year’s Eve edition of TFB’s Silencer Saturday.
SureFire Anti Flash-and-Light – SFA2-556 Flash Hider and Suppressor Mount
- A specifically designed adapter for SureFire and Mil-Spec blank firing adapters
- Also serves as a rock-solid interface for SureFire SOCOM Fast-Attach® suppressors
- Manufacturer’s Page: https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/muzzle-devices/sfa2-556-1-2-28/
- Product Number: SFA2-556-1/2-28
- Thread Pitch: 1/2 x 28
- Finish: Dlc Coating
- Material: Heat-Treated Stainless Steel
- Thread Dimensions: 1/2-28 Threads Per Inch
- Caliber: 5.56 Mm
- Weight: 2.9 Oz (82.2 G)
- Length; 1.9 Inches (4.7 Cm)
An easy-to-install birdcage flash hider
Adapt. Overcome. The SureFire SFA2-556-1/2-28 is a closed-tine adapter specifically designed and engineered for compatibility with SureFire Blank Firing Adapters or any Mil-Spec BFA used in training evolutions that require a blank firing adapter. Like every SureFire SOCOM adapter, the SFA2-556-1/2-28 also serves as a rock-solid, precision mounting platform for SureFire SOCOM Fast-Attach Suppressors, as well as serving as a standalone muzzle device. It closely represents a traditional birdcage flash hider, with wrench flats for ease of installation. Just like the other SOCOM muzzle devices, this adapter is precision machined from heat-treated stainless steel which is highly resistant to gas and particle erosion. Additionally, it utilizes multiple bearing surfaces to ensure proper suppressor alignment every time.