Small pistols and small silencers go together like cold beer and salty peanuts. But, at the risk of stating the obvious, reducing the volume of a suppressor also decreases overall noise reduction – unless you have some way to seal off the end cap after the bullet exits the bore. Using rubber wipes is a decades-old design process that has seen a resurgence in silencer development in the last few years. Rex Silentium has just introduced the Covert 22LR mini suppressor for rimfire suppressors. The best part is that it currently retails for $125.
Details, links and additional information about the Covert 22LR can be found below.
The COV was born of the innovative SEG. Developed as a tiny suppressor to carry and deploy discreetly. Don’t let size fool you! The COV is a tough little MF. A common 3/4″ wrench or socket is all that is needed. Built from hardened 17-4 Stainless Steel ( 190KSI tensile strength) and 7075 Aluminum, it can take a hell of a beating. Impressively quiet for its size, the COV can be easily concealed even attached to the host pistol. This suppressor is designed for maximum suppression via the Cap Wipe and ablative gel. This combination makes for an extremely quite suppressor for its very small size! It can be shot dry, with or without the wipe. But for maximum performance use a new Cap Wipe and fresh ablative gel. Together with a closed chamber, the Cap Wipe seals in the ablative gel so that it is ready when you are without leaking or drying out!
For best and critical suppression, use the shortest barrel available with standard velocity 22LR. Keep it clean and remember that after cleaning use some ablative gel on all internal parts before reassembly. The wipe can easily be replaced as a repair item by you or a gunsmith.
According to current BATFE guidance, repairing the wipe by direct replacement is allowed but making and keeping spares is NOT! Contact your legal counsel and or the NFA branch of BATFE for more information. We do not sell replacement wipes.
The first baffle is hardened 17-4 stainless steel and takes the brunt of the high velocity gasses and abrasion from carbon. This stainless steel baffle protects the aluminum baffle that follows. With proper use and service, the SEG will last a lifetime. Our lifetime, no-fault warranty comes standard, as with all of our products.
- Rated for: 22LR Round Nose ONLY (no barrel length restrictions)
- Length: 2.4″
- Weight: 2.2oz
- Diameter: 0.97″
- Hardened 17-4 SS Primary Baffle and Mount (hardened to 190,000 PSI tensile strength) takes all the extreme abrasion and high pressures
- Baffles seal to each other to minimize carbon buildup in the segments (easy disassembly for cleaning)
- Designed for use with ablative gel (water, non-toxic wire pull gel lubricant or petroleum jelly)
- Repairable High-Strength High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Cap Wipe (McMaster-Carr item 5787T63 and Punch 3427a17)
- Easy to service
- Easy to own
- 100% no-fault warranty, valid across the known universe and until the end of time
- Won’t break the bank
Sound Pressure Level ***
This suppressor is designed for maximum suppression via ablative gel and a cap wipe. All SPL measurements are recorded with fresh ablative gel applied and a new cap wipe for each set of 5 shots. All shots are listed along with the average.
- Beretta 21A Pistol: (Unsuppressed AVG: 159.1)
- Standard Velocity 22LR (1255fps): Shots 1 thru 10: 131.5, 132.3, 132.4, 133.5, 136.9, 138.0, 136.6, 137.5, 141.1, 138.4 -AVG: 135.8
- Browning Buckmark Pistol 3″ BBL: (Unsuppressed AVG: 158.6)
- Standard Velocity 22LR (1255fps): Shots 1 thru 10: 130.9, 132.1, 133.2, 132.7, 135.0, 135.8, 137.2, 139.1, 139.9, 140.8 -AVG: 135.7
*** We measure Sound Pressure Levels 1M left of the muzzle of the suppressor, 1.6M above the ground***We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.