Ah, the famous SIG Sauer P320 M17 pistol, placed into service by the U.S. Army and other branches after a long and pronounced testing and evaluation period that was not without controversy. But, besides a few slight specifications and material treatment variations, the M17 is nearly identical to the civilian P320 pistols laying on the shelves of thousands of local gun shops.
Kicking off a new Field Strip series here at TFB, the P320 M17 Pistol will mark the start of a pictorial breakdown of every weapon we can get our hands on. Yes, field stripping a pistol such as the SIG Sauer P320 M17 is about as simple as it gets, but as veteran shooters, we sometimes take our knowledge and experience for granted. Somewhere out there a bright-eyed, 21-year-old kid just picked up his first handgun and is wondering how everything fits together. So let’s break it down for him or her. As always, helpful commentary is welcome.
REMEMBER the four rules of gun safety:
- All guns are always loaded.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
TFB FIELD STRIP: Sig Sauer P320 M17 Pistol
1. Check to ensure the gun is unloaded. Remove the magazine. Visually and physically inspect the chamber and magazine well. Check twice. (Note, magazine inserted for pictographic reference).
Don’t forget to wear eye protection.
2. Lock the slide to the rear.
3. Rotate the takedown lever clockwise to the six o’clock position.
4. In a controlled manner, release the slide lock and ride the slide forward.
5. Compress the recoil spring and remove. Slide the barrel forward, pull out and slide the barrel rearward.
6. Rotate the takedown lever clockwise to the seven o’clock position.
7. Using a brass or polymer punch, push out the takedown lever from right to left.
8. Pull up gently on the front of the fire control unit, and gently depress the trigger to clear the frame.
9. Remove the fire control unit from the frame.
10. Inspect, clean and lightly lubricate all parts. Reassemble in reverse order.
SIG Sauer P320 M17 SPECIFICATIONS
Manufacturer Page: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-m17.html
- CALIBER: 9mm Luger
- ACTION TYPE: Semi-Auto
- GRIP TYPE: Modular Polymer
- FRAME SIZE: Full-Size
- FRAME MATERIAL: Stainless Steel
- FRAME FINISH: Stainless Steel
- SLIDE FINISH: Coyote PVD
- SLIDE MATERIAL: Stainless Steel
- BARREL MATERIAL: Carbon Steel
- ACCESSORY RAIL: M1913
- TRIGGER: Striker
- TRIGGER TYPE: Standard
- BARREL LENGTH: 4.7 in (119 mm)
- OVERALL LENGTH: 8 in (203 mm)
- OVERALL WIDTH: 1.3 in (33 mm)
- HEIGHT: 5.5 in (140 mm)
- WEIGHT: 29.6 oz (840 g)
- SKU: 320F-9-M17 (no manual safety); 320F-9-M17-MS (manual safety included)