It may not sound very earth-shattering that an AR-15 component manufacturer like 2A Armament has received a patent from the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office), but with so many companies in existence in this line of work, it is great to see something new and innovative.
What they have created is a gas regulation system that has been built into a bolt-carrier system. This, too, sounds pretty simple on the surface, but this is what it truly has to offer:
- Adjustment of Felt Recoil for the Shooter
- Adjustment of Spent Cartridge Ejection Pattern
- While running a Suppressor, No Need to Switch out other Components of Firearm
- Lightweight Steel BCG (7.9 Oz.)
- Ultra-Lightweight Titanium BCG (5.9 Oz.)
A more elaborate and succinct explanation of this BCG is provided by 2A Armament:
The Regulated Bolt Carrier is fully adjustable through the port door so that the rifle does not have to be broken down for adjustment, and can be easily tuned for all combinations of buffers, springs, suppressors and barrel lengths. In fact, it has infinite adjustment – from fully open to fully closed on the regulation gate. The unit also comes with a T-6 Torx tool for adjusting this Idaho-made part, which is available in both steel (black nitride finish) and titanium (black ion-bond or bead-blast matte finishes).
While there are other bolt carriers for AR-15 rifles on the market, none other than the 2A Armament Regulated Bolt Carrier, utilize a gas-regulation gate that can be adjusted to run with an infinite number of setups of barrels, suppressors, springs and more. In fact, the Regulated Bolt Carrier will be the only one available like this for many years; until the patent runs out.
These newly patented BCGs by 2A Armament have a going rate of $439 per unit and are available on their website.
I know your initial thought may be, “Dang! That is a lot of money!” which is not wrong, but quality comes at a price. Some even more detailed specs of these BCGs are as follows according to 2A Armament’s website:
- Carrier: Grade 5, 6AL-4V Titanium | Available in Ion Bond Black or Bead Blast Matte Finish
- Bolt: 9310 Steel, Heat Treated, MP, Cryo’d, QPQ Nitride
- Rear Body: 7075-T6, Hard Anodized Clear
- Extractor: Machined, Heat Treated, QPQ Nitride
- Carrier Key: Machined, Heat Treated, QPQ Nitride, Staked Screws
- Regulating Gate: Machined from 6AL-4V Titanium
- Weight: 5.95 Oz. Fully Assembled Carrier Group
- T-6 Torx Tool supplied for adjustment
- Patent No. 9,857,129
- Product of the great state of Idaho, MADE IN THE U.S.A.
So with all of the specifications laid out in front of you, is this something that you would want to put into one of your rifles or build projects?…
Let us know in the comments below!