Ken Hackathorn is to 1911’s like Yoda is to the Force. How do you pay homage to the 1911 Yoda? By being the world’s most recognized custom 1911 manufacturer and naming a model after the man himself.
The new Hackathorn Special from Wilson Combat was designed around Ken’s input and experience after more than two decades teaching law enforcement and military how to run a 1911 like a pro. Not to mention he has a resume that reads like an action novel AND he was a founding member of both IPSC and IDPA.
Pulling from an extensive custom gun collection and experience that makes us all look like newbs, Ken picked his favorite features from several high-end 1911s and worked with Wilson Combat to make the gun come to life as the Hackathorn Special. The aim being a 1911 that had everything that a serious single stack shooter could want without any frills.
The Commander sized pistol features a 4.25″ bushing barrel that can be chambered in either 9mm or .45 ACP. depending on the model. Ken carefully chose each part of the pistol for optimal performance and Wilson Combat has limited the options available on the Hackathorn Special to keep the customer’s experience as close to what Ken had envisioned. The only choices that you have to make are what front sight you want, do you want an ambidextrous safety, and do you want the Armor-Tuff finish or the deluxe hand-polish blued finish?
The specs on the gun are reasonably impressive:
- Available Calibers: .45 ACP, 9mm
- Magazine Capacity: 8 rounds (.45 ACP)
- Barrel Length: 4.25″
- Overall Length: 7.85″
- Sight Radius: 5.95″
- Height: 5.6″
- Width: 1.3″
- Weight Empty: 38.2 oz.
- Weight Loaded: 44.8 oz.
- Accuracy Guarantee: 1.5″ at 25 yds
- Professional-Size Carbon Steel Frame
- 25 LPI High Cut Checkered Frontstrap
- Bullet Proof® Round Butt Magazine Well
- Concealment Bullet Proof® Beavertail Grip Safety and Hammer
- Tactical Bullet Proof® Thumb Safety
- 3 ½# – 4 ½# Crisp Trigger Pull with Medium Length Pad
- Bullet Proof® Magazine Release
- Black G10 Starburst Flat Bottom Grips
- Countersunk Slide Stop
- 4.25” Carbon Steel Slide
- Rear Cocking Serrations
- Heavy Machine Chamfer on Bottom of Slide
- Battlesight with Fiber Optic Front Sight
- 4.25” Stainless Match Grade Barrel and Bushing, Flush Cut Reverse Crown
- Fluted Chamber
- 30 LPI Slide Top Serrations
- 40 LPI Serrated Rear of Slide
- Ball Endmill Cuts
- Lightweight Frame Upgrade Available
To top it all off, Ken’s signature will be engraved on the slide as it should be. The end result is a beautiful, purpose built pistol that I think just about any 1911 aficionado would be proud to own … if your pockets are deep enough to handle the base price of $3750.
You can hear Ken talk about the full-size Hackathorn Special in the video below, many of the features carry over to the Commander size gun or get more information on the commander gun at the Wilson Combat page for the Hackathorn Special Commander.