The Hidden Benefit of Hoarding Ammo…

Tom R
by Tom R

While hoarding ammo and people buying it “right off the truck” is an annoyance for most of us, the increased (and sustained) buying of ammo (and guns) has benefited one major aspect–conservation.

The taxes related to the purchase of firearms and ammo contributes to the “Pittman-Robertson funds” which bypasses the US Treasury and goes directly to the Department of Interior (and from there back to the states). This money funds things like improving lands for hunting, restoration efforts, and studies. And by law, this money cannot be spent on anything other than effort to sustain and restore wildlife.

A pretty decent article discussing the impact of this appeared in the Grand Forks Herald: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/business/3779504-gun-ammo-taxes-hit-record-high-2014-creates-windfall-conservation

It sounds like the bigger problem may be that some states may not be able to use all of their potential allotment due to the large increase in funds (the Act allows for a 75% reimbursement to the state; meaning the state has to foot the other 25%). Though not necessarily a bad problem to have, as unused money rolls into the Migratory Bird Conservation fund.

So, keep buying weapons and ammo. It benefits us all… 🙂

Tom R
Tom R

Tom is a former Navy Corpsman that spent some time bumbling around the deserts of Iraq with a Marine Recon unit, kicking in tent flaps and harassing sheep. Prior to that he was a paramedic somewhere in DFW, also doing some Executive Protection work between shifts. Now that those exciting days are behind him, he teaches wilderness medicine and runs an on-demand medical staffing business. He hopes that his posts will help you find solid gear that will survive whatever you can throw at it--he is known (in certain circles) for his curse...ahem, ability...to find the breaking point of anything.You can reach him at tom.r AT thefirearmblog.com or at https://thomasrader.com

More by Tom R

Comments
Join the conversation
2 of 125 comments
  • Supergun Supergun on Jul 14, 2015

    When I buy ammo, it is taxed like if I bought a fan, hose, or shoes. It you add additional taxes on ammo and not on the shoes, fan, or hose then you are discriminately imposing a tax on ammo. If they can do ammo that way, then they can do all the rest of the goods that way.

  • Wolfgang Peter Anthony Wolfgang Peter Anthony on Jul 14, 2015

    Yeah, hire some Chinese guys, they know how to build big, long walls. Everything else here is "Made in China", so what's one more item... :)

Next