What is this thing?

Steve Johnson
by Steve Johnson

David emailed me to ask what the below object is. I have no idea, although the suggestion that it’s a cartridge delinker sounds plausible.

I believe it is a military accessory and I would like some help to identify what it is. Attached is a picture, there is a stamp on the side that says “8D/2538″ with a crown and “M” below that, and a circle below that with “R G 31″ inside the circle. It appears to be made from brass. Someone suggested it is possibly a delinker to remove shells from a machine gun belt.

Anyone know?

Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

I founded TFB in 2007 and over 10 years worked tirelessly, with the help of my team, to build it up into the largest gun blog online. I retired as Editor in Chief in 2017. During my decade at TFB I was fortunate to work with the most amazing talented writers and genuinely good people!

More by Steve Johnson

Join the conversation
2 of 8 comments
  • Flashman Flashman on Oct 18, 2009

    The rounds in the pictures are rimmed and resemble .303 British. The "RG" stamp on the item is reminiscent of the same abbreviation appearing on UK manufactured ammunition ex the Radway Green factory. So - a linker/delinker for a .303 Browning perhaps?

  • Komrad Komrad on Oct 18, 2009

    I wonder why it's brass. Could it be to prevent sparks? What kind of links is it for? I would think cloth links wouldn't need it.