All of you guys and gals out there that think that all defensive calibers start with a four and end with a five can rejoice because Smith & Wesson is now shipping M&P45 M2.0 pistols! The evolution of the original M&P45 is now hitting stores in both the flat dark earth color as well as the classic black.
The upgrades that Smith & Wesson made to the M&P M2.0 for the Modular Handgun System competition really brings the M&P design to life with some much-needed updates like forward cocking serrations for press checks, a more aggressive grip texture without being too aggressive, and an improved trigger.
Below is a list of features that was included in the press release:
Superior Ergonomic Design
• M&P pistol’s optimal 18-degree grip angle, providing a natural point of aim
• M&P pistol high grip-to-barrel bore axis – more comfortable to shoot, faster aim recovery
• Four interchangeable dimensional palm swell grips for best-in-class fit: S, M, ML, L
• New aggressive M2.0 textured grip for enhanced control
• New front cocking serrations
• New M2.0 crisp trigger with lighter trigger pull
• Tactile and audible trigger reset
• Accurate 1 in 10” twist 9mm and .40 S&W, and 1 in 15” twist .45 AUTO M&P M2.0 barrels
• Extended rigid embedded stainless steel chassis to reduce flex and torque when firing
• Tactical white 3-dot steel sights for quick target acquisition
• Ambidextrous slide stop, reversible magazine release, and optional ambidextrous thumb safety
• Simple M&P take-down lever, for easy disassembly and maintenance
• M&P pistol sear deactivation lever – safe take-down without having to pull the trigger
• Armornite® – hardened nitride durable corrosion resistant finish on barrel and slide
• Cerakote® FDE finish over Armornite® on Flat Dark Earth M2.0 slides
While the new 9mm and .40 S&W M2.0’s were designed to fit 95% of shooters, the M&P45 M2.0 is expected have a slightly thicker accommodate the larger cartridges. I do expect it to be slightly slimmer and fit more shooter’s hands than the older M&P Classic models thanks to the four interchangeable backstraps.
The MSRP for the new M&P45 M2.0 is listed at $599 and is in the distribution pipeline now. Check out Smith & Wesson’s website for more info.