A short story for you:
- The SAS, currently carrying a number of Colt Canada C8 carbines, decides to pursue the IUR upgrade.
- The IUR is an integrated upper reciever (aka monolithic) available from Colt Canada (formerly Diemaco)
- The Brits opt for 10.5” and 15.7” heavy barrels, but don’t plan to take possession of their uppers till 2017.
- Colt Canada completed the contract early. They’ve filled the SAS contract, and seem to have some spare time on their hands.
- So the SAS stock is being made available in limited numbers to the Canadian public. Anything pulled off the pallet now, Colt Canada can replace before the 2017 shipment happens.
After literally decades of zero civilian sales and zero interest, Colt Canada has done all kinds of unusual things over the past 3 years to get their guns into the hands of adoring (and licensed) Canadians. It’s amazing to see this kind of renewed domestic interest from a traditionally dedicated military manufacturer.
I personally picked up my Colt Canada IUR for about 1/3rd the price of these from the initial Danish overrun that was made available last year.
It’s interesting to note that these are the first IURs made available to the public that are including the ambidextrous charging handle. I hope some Canadian Forces members in our readership can chime in with their experiences using that.
Similar to the original Danish release, these will be a limited availability. I suspect that after the shipment to the UK happens, and the plant moves on to other priorities, we’ll be done with this particular variant for civilian sales.
Check out the release from O’Dell Engineer, the domestic distributor:
Colt Canada British Special Forces 3rd Gen Integrated Upper Receiver’s
Production units to ship to the Brits in 2017 – NOT SURPLUS OR OVER RUNS*
Canadian civilian pricing same as Government contract price.
- GEN 3 (current PRODUCTION Military) Integrated Upper Receiver (IUR):
- Made for the UK Special Forces
- Interchangeable fit on all Mil-Spec “push pin” lowers;
- Fully floating barrel system;
- Dry film lubricated bolt carrier channel;
- Screw retained (easily maintained) low profile gas block (under the handguard for safety);
- Mil-Spec hard anodized black;
- IUR is marked COLT CANADA 2C085 and NATO on the rail;
- Straight gas tube to increase life and ease of installation.
- Iconic “Colt Canada” cold hammer forged in your choice of 10.5” or 15.7” fully chrome lined barrel;
- Canadian Forces Spec thicker chrome;
- Phosphated to Mil-Spec;
- Improved integral forged carbine chamber;
- Colt Canada hammer forged choke bore;
- 1/7” twist RH/ 6 groove NATO approved bore;
- Batch marked barrel and barrel extension;
- High pressure tested HPT and magnetic particle inspection MPI as per Canadian Mil-Spec;
- Anti corrosion coating applied under the handguards;
- New liner to improve thermal protection of hands.
- Standard C7/C7A1/C8/C8A2 type half birdcage for compensation and flash reduction.
- Full top and bottom rails (10.5” 37 top and 19 bottom, 15.7” 46 top and 28 bottom);
- Reinforced grenade launcher recoil lug;
- The side rails are partially railed with 10 slot front accessory mounting point and slotted sling fitting on each side
- Rail slots are numbered with laser engraving;
- The rails are NATO STANAG 4694 spec and are back compatible with MIL-STD-1913 accessories;
- Protected low profile gas block;
- IUR has a hardened steel insert for the cocking handle latch to resist wear with enlarged tactical latches
BOLT CARRIER ASSEMBLY:
- Full Canadian Forces specification (Military configuration) bolt carrier assembly;
- Proof tested, MPI inspected, and lot number controlled bolt;
- CF spec high retention staking of the carrier key;
- Chrome lined carrier and key for wear resistance;
- Chromed firing pin.
COLT CANADA TACTICAL CHARGING HANDLE:
- Extended ambidextrous Tactical Latch for easy cocking of your gun with optics in place;
- Solid latch pin is permanently staked in place for worry free operations;
- Mil-Spec finishes applied for weather resistance.
- Two barrel lengths;
- 10.5” Integrated Upper Receiver (BCA+CH) – $1749.95 MSRP
- 15.7” Integrated Upper Receiver (BCA+CH) – $1849.95 MSRP
– DEALERS MAY SELL FOR LESS
Delivery first week of October to dealers.
*All British Special Forces uppers sold in the Canadian civilian market will be replaced for the order prior to delivery in 2017. Product is already sold to the Brits, therefore not discounted like previous Danish surplus.