Rebel Silencers out of El Paso, Texas is introducing a new model of rifle suppressor that can be disassembled for cleaning. Dubbed the SOS-556, each baffle is a threaded section of the silencer, eliminating the need for an outer tube. The pieces are also consecutively numbered to ensure that the SOS is reassembled in the correct order.
Writer’s Note: Rebel Silencers advertises on TFB, however, just as always, this is not a paid or sponsored article.
Tubeless suppressors aren’t new: Sig Sauer, SilencerCo as well a few European manufacturers build silencers without traditional outer tubes. However, this is the first modern design I have seen with multiple threaded sections accessible to the end user. It’s definitely interesting.
However, I do have my questions and concerns:
- For rifle suppressors, disassembly for cleaning is usually a low priority requirement.
- One concern would be that the threaded sections could ‘walk’ or loosen while shooting, creating the potential for damage to the baffles.
- The heat imposed on a rifle suppressor is extreme – how will these threaded joints hold up to sustained fire?
- The baffle design appears to be fairly shallow (flat) for suppressing supersonic rifle rounds. Usually steeper cones are a better choice.
- The extra material around the threads for each section could unnecessarily increase weight.
Can two or three of the sections be left out of the stack, creating a swappable modular K-sized configuration. Edit: Apparently the answer is yes.
Now, having said all that, the $299 price tag has my attention. I’m really tempted to give one a try just to see how well it performs. And if it wasn’t for the yearlong ATF wait, I would probably pull the trigger.
From the Rebel Silencers website:
The SOS-556 is a beast. It’s a highly functional, modular, user serviceable, and effective multi-caliber capable suppressor. We use nothing but premium materials in its construction. The baffle assembly can be broken down easily for cleaning, and replacement parts are readily available. The SOS–556 is a workhorse through and through that is built to last a lifetime.
- dB reduction on 16″ AR-15: 33 dB reduction (Hearing Safe)
- Barrel Length: 10″ Min length barrel for 5.56 (SBR)
- Length: 8″
- Diameter: 1.5″ (just under)
- Weight: 21 oz
- Threading: 1/2 x 28 TPI
- Main Caliber: 5.56/.223
- Other Compatible Calibers: .22LR, .22Mag, .17HMR, 5.7×28
- Weapon Types: Rifle, Pistol
- Tube: Tubeless (No tube for this beast)
- Material: 100% Hardened 17-4 Stainless Steel
- Finish: High Temp Cerakote
- POI Shift: Minimal
As I have said many times in the past, it’s great to see silencer manufacturers innovate and bring new products to consumers. The more choices that come into the market the more that the “hearing protection industry” will continue to strengthen.