Did you know that it is legal to own a grenade launcher? Yeah, that is pretty awesome. By the letter of the law you can also possess live HE grenades, but acquiring them is incredibly difficult. However a smattering of other rounds are available if you want to experience the joy of an M203 without the strict storage requirements and high cost of 40mm HE. Surplus practice grenades are affordable and can be reloaded with .38 special blanks too!
My Friend CJ asked if I could get him an M203, and after a few emails back and forth from LMT that became a reality.
After the form went through, I attached the launcher on my M16A1 and it looks menacing:
The button on the launcher’s port side opens the tube:
I must say the quality of the LMT launchers are exquisite:
This video is of the launcher’s maiden voyage:
Some important points on the LMT M203:
- The launcher worked very well, and we all got progressively better with it. I think if each of us had a case of 25 we would have gotten extremely proficient.
- The trigger is about the same as a stock AR15 trigger.
- Installing the launcher takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Recoil is no worse than a 12 gauge O/U shotgun.
- The fun factor is very high, especially when you see the large cloud or orange smoke rise!
All in all we had a great time with the LMT M203 and I would highly recommend one to anyone in the market for a 40mm grenade launcher however small that pool of people may be.