CZ has introduced the new 550 Sonoran rifle at this year’s SHOT Show. CZ describes the new rifle as being designed to be a long-range tack-driver rather than a mountain rifle. Inspiring the Western Series, the 550 Sonoran weighs less than 8 lbs. due to the Manners carbon fiber stock and a fluted barrel. The Manners stock is OD green, with a recoil reducing soft rubber butt pad.
CZ built the Sonoran to withstand the harshest of conditions. The 550 Sonoran is Ferritic Nitrocarburized on the inside and out, raising the surface hardness to 72 on the Rockwell scale. CZ claims this process will make the Sonoran capable of surviving heavy wear and the corrosive elements. The outer coating also doubles the expected life of the barrel.
In addition, the Ferritic Nitrocarburized process actually increases lubricity. According to CZ, this lubricity allows only a little application of oil to keep the 550 Sonoran running smoothly even during heavy use. The Sonoran comes with a single set trigger, and a fixed internal magazine with hinge plate. The receiver has two pre-set riser mounts for scope rings.
The CZ 550 Sonoran is available in two standard (.270 Win., .30-06), and two magnum calibers (7mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag.). In addition, the CZ 550 “Badlands” is the same rifle chambered in .338 Lapua. Standard calibers come with a 24-inch fluted barrel with a #3 contour. Magnum calibers will have a 26-inch barrel and a #4 contour. The “Badlands” rifle will have a 25-inch barrel. CZ is prepared to guarantee 1 MOA or better from the CZ 550 Sonoran, when paired with a quality scope and ammunition.
CZ 550 Sonoran specifications:
- Calibers – .270 Win.; .30-06; 7mm Rem. Mag.; .300 Win. Mag.; .338 Lapua
- Stock – Carbon fiber (Kevlar for the .338 Lapua Badlands)
- Magazine – Fixed internal with hinge plate
- Magazine Capacity – (5) for standard; (3) for magnum; (4) for .338 Lapua
- Trigger – single set with approximately 3.5 lbs. of pull
- Overall Length – 44.8 inches standard; 46.8 inches magnum; 46.5 inches Lapua
- Barrel Length – 24 inches standard; 26 inches magnum; 25 inches Lapua
- Weight – 7.6 pounds standard; 7.8 pounds magnum; 9.2 pounds Lapua
- MSRP – $3199; .338 Lapua Badlands for $2599.
The CZ550 Badlands is in the same Western Series as the Sonoran, but comes with a less expensive Kevlar stock, and a “sporter” style barrel. Still, the Badlands rifle is designed to deliver accurate shots from the powerful .338 Lapua round.