Izhmash has officially unveiled the first working prototype of the AK-12 Assault Rifle. According to Max Popenker there will be two models, a Light model (5.45x39mm, 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm) that accepts all magazines that work with existing AK rifles, as well as a new 60 round quad stack magazine, and a Heavy (7.62x51mm) model that will use a new magazine.
The rifle’s major new features are …
- Ambidextrous forward charging handle.
- Smaller ejection port.
- New safety switch.
- New fire control switch with three modes of fire (single shot, 3 round burst and full auto).
- New hinged top cover. The cover is a lot more rigid that the previous AK rifles.
- Quad picatinny rails.
- Folding and length adjustable stock.
- Ergonomic pistol grip (with a decent radius between trigger guard and grip).
- New muzzle brake that attaches to standard NATO 22mm threading.
- Improved barrel rifling.
Whilst it is not pretty, in fact it is downright ugly, it possess all the features of the latest western assault rifles.
[ Many thanks to Russian Surt & Max Popenker for providing information. ]