The Colt CZ group is releasing what could be described as the best of two worlds. Tribute to Legends is what they chose to call their set of limited edition, hand-engraved Colt 1911 and CZ 75. This is a commemoration of last year’s merger between Colt and Česká Zbrojovka (CZ). There will only be a total of 50 sets made, and they will be auctioned off at the end of November, in Prague’s Kodl Gallery.
CZ Firearms @ TFB:
- Colt CZ Group SE Acquires The Remaining Stake in Spuhr
- POTD: CZ Firearms – The Vz. 58
- CZ 75 Republika Auctioned For $38,000
- TFB Review: CZ’s New Bren 2 MS Pistol
The proceedings will be donated to the Army Solidarity Fund, the Police and Firefighter Foundation, and the fundraising bank account of the Embassy of Ukraine in the Czech Republic to support the Ukrainian army. Previous auctions have generated quite large amounts of money for similar receivers.
Here is the press release in full (Source):
Prague (October, 2022) – A limited edition set of two hand-engraved Colt 1911 and CZ 75 handguns called Tribute to Legends commemorates last year’s merger of two renowned small arms manufacturers – Colt and Česká zbrojovka (CZ). Decoration of the pistols was undertaken by the internationally respected artistic gun engraver René Ondra who transforms serial products into high value works of art. The first of a total of 50 sets will be auctioned off on November 27, 2022, in Prague’s Kodl Gallery and the proceedings will be donated to the Army Solidarity Fund, the Police and Firefighter Foundation, and the fundraising bank account of the Embassy of Ukraine in the Czech Republic to support the Ukrainian army.
The idea to create this unique edition was born from close cooperation between the two “sisters,” Colt and CZ. An iconic model was chosen to represent each brand: the American Colt 1911 pistol and the Czech CZ 75. Both pistols are decorated with engravings inspired by the 19th century practice of ornamentation in North America, especially of Colt revolvers, which are famous in this respect and sought after by collectors.
“We decided to name this edition “Tribute to Legends” because both handguns and their manufacturers are among the best in their field, with a rich history and generations of satisfied users. We want to continue this set course and to establish Colt CZ Group as the recognized undisputed leader of small arms industry. I am glad that the auction of one of these sets will support our soldiers, policemen, firefighters, and their families, as well as the Ukrainian Army,” said Jan Drahota, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Colt CZ Group.
Colt 1911, as the name itself suggests, was introduced into active duty 111 years ago and up until the 1980s, it was the standard issue handgun of the US Army. According to many, it is the perfect single stack magazine pistol and that is why the Colt 1911 chambered in .45 ACP is the most copied handgun in the world.
The CZ 75 is one of the so-called “Wonder Nines” – high-capacity, semi-automatic pistols chambered in 9 mm Luger that successfully competed with the then-dominant .45 ACP pistols. After the Colt 1911, it is the second most copied pistol of all times and even today it remains as one of the most successful models.
Hand-engraved handguns of CZ and Colt are sought-after investment opportunities and an immensely interesting collector’s item. The 2019 auction of the limited edition of CZ 75 REPUBLIKA at Kodl Gallery raised CZK 650,000 for charity, while the purchase price of this pistol was CZK 200,000. A recent auction of the same model in the Goltzova tvrz Gallery fetched CZK 980,000. In March, another of the limited editions – CZ 75 TOBRUK – raised CZK 5 million at a gala evening hosted by Forbes magazine and the Freedom for Ukraine initiative to help Ukraine.
More information about Tribute to Legends limited edition pistols is here: https://engravings.czub.cz/en/tribute-to-legends/
About Colt CZ Group SE
Colt CZ Group (Colt CZ), together with its subsidiaries, is one of the leading producers of firearms for military and law enforcement, personal defense, hunting, sport shooting, and other commercial use. It markets and sells its products mainly under the Colt, CZ (Česká zbrojovka), Colt Canada, CZ-USA, Dan Wesson, Spuhr, and 4M Systems brands.
Colt CZ is headquartered in the Czech Republic and has production facilities in the Czech Republic, the United States, Canada, and Sweden. It employs more than 2,000 people in the Czech Republic, the USA, Canada, Sweden, and Germany. Colt CZ is owned by Česká zbrojovka Partners SE from 76.9%, with the remaining 23.1% being a free float.
Below you can see more details of the Tribute to Legends pistols.
Limited Edition Colt 1911 and CZ75.
Let’s say you could only have one: Would you choose the Colt 1911 or the CZ 75 and why? Let us know in the comments!