Adept Armor, a manufacturer of hard body armor plates, has introduced an armor plate called Colossus which it says is the first “Future Proofed” body armor panel. And while unfortunately there’s no information about its rating against a phased plasma bolt in the 40W range, below you will find what it is rated against.
More Body Armor @ TFB:
- Adept Armor’s New Storm System, Modular Body Armor
- BulletSafe American-Made VP3 Body Armor – Affordable Level IIIA
- Spartan Armor Systems Announces Ares Level IV Ceramic Body Armor
According to their Colossus Press Release:
Adept Armor, an armor system engineering firm, announces the latest evolution in ceramic armor with the Colossus™ Armor Plate offering protective capabilities beyond Level IV or RF3 plates. The Colossus was designed from the ground up using the most advanced materials available to produce the strongest plate in its category, yet weighing significantly less than the average Level IV or RF3 plate at just over six pounds.
The Colossus was built and tested to VPAM 12 with a ballistic rating for 7.62x51mm Swiss P AP (tungsten core) at 810 m/s. VPAM is the European standard for testing and measurement of ballistic materials and products. Additionally, the Colossus is also rated for:
- VPAM 11 – 7.62x51mm M993 (tungsten core) at 940 m/s
- Level IV (RF3) – .30-06 AP M2 at 880 m/s Special threats
- 7..62x54mmR Bf32 API at 860 m/s
- 5.56x45mm M995 at 1000 m/s
- 5.45x39mm AP at 880 m/s Similar and lesser threats
The US Army X Threat Small Arms Protective insert plate (XSAPI) designed to VPAM 11 was developed to protect the wearer from an “X-Threat,” most likely the M993 7.62 NATO armor-piercing round. Adept Armor’s new Colossus Armor Plate exceeds the protection offered by the XSAPI plates. The Colossus was specifically designed to thwart tungsten-cored small arms threats.
The multi-curve Colossus is made from advanced SiC-TiB2 ceramic; Vectran®, a hi-tech liquid crystal polymer fiber known for its high-strength, high heat resistance, and low stretch capabilities; and UHMWPE composite in a thermoplastic wrap. The premium-grade thermoplastic foam on the strike-face offers drop protection, and on the body-side, it serves as an integrated trauma pad. Weighing just 6.5 lbs. in the Shooter’s Cut, the Colossus is only 1.13” in thickness.
Adept Armor’s next-gen, future-proofed, edge-to-edge protection ceramic armor plate, the Colossus is available now in a variety of configurations, and ready to meet todays and tomorrow’s threats. MSRP starts at $640.00 for a 10” x 12” unit.
Interested in armor materials, systems, test methods, and current threats? Check out Adept Armor’s incredible knowledgebase of information and glossary. Learn more about Adept Armor on their new website or follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Receive a FREE bag and patch, as well as the latest news, offers, and promotions from Adept Armor when you sign up for the newsletter.
The Colossus Specs:
- SiC-TiB2 composite strike-face. A next-gen ceramic material developed specifically to counter tungsten-cored small arms threats.
- Next-gen UHMWPE backer.
- High-strength Vectran Liquid Crystal Polymer cladding layer on the strike-face.
- Resilient, premium-grade thermoplastic foam on the strike-face, for drop protection, and on the body side, for trauma reduction. On the body side, this serves as an integrated trauma pad.
- Comfortable and form-fitting multi-curve geometry.
- Just 6.5 pounds (2.95kg) and 1.18″ thick.
- A full-sized strike face with full edge-to-edge ceramic coverage.
- World’s most protective ceramic armor plate.
What do you guys think? Comment below?
All images provided by Adept Armor