This year at SHOT Show Zeiss is showing off their brand new LRP S5 rifle scopes. These high-performance rifle scopes are aimed at the hunting and long-range precision shooting markets.
Zeiss @ TFB:
- Zeiss LRP S5 FFP Precision Rifle Scopes With The Most Elevation
- TFB Review: Zeiss DTI 3/35 Thermal Spotting Camera
- Zeiss Conquest V6: Versatile, Precise, and Tough as Nails
Zeiss Precision LRP S5 Scopes
Here at TFB, we have previously covered the announcement of the Zeiss Long-Range Performance (LRP) S5 Scopes, so I won’t bore you with retreading old ground. Instead, I’ll encourage you to check out Nick C’s excellent coverage. A quick recap is that Zeiss has released a new high-performance rifle scope. It will be offered in two base models, the 318-50 and 525-56. The 318-50 is almost exactly what it sounds like, a 3.6-18×50 model, and the 525-56 is exactly what it sounds like, a 5-25×56 model.
New InformationThe new information presented by the Zeiss both rep here at SHOT warrants another look. The mils turret will have a “more tactile click” every whole mil of adjustment. So for example, if you were in a low-light condition, and wanted to adjust 4.2 mils, you would feel a more tactile click every 10th adjustment. Four of those, and two regular clicks, and you’re exactly where you need to be. The reticles on the new scope are “true daylight visible”. In other words, despite glare and sunshine, the illumination on the reticle will be visible to your eye. In part, this can be attributed to the 90% light transmissibility the LRP S5 has. At least, 90% on paper. The booth rep confirmed that practical testing showed slightly above 90% light transmission through the scope. The LRP S5 during testing withstood multiple shock tests of 1,500 g-forces. According to the Zeiss product announcement, the design requirements included “initial shock testing of over 800 impact cycles at 1,000 g-forces”.
Fast facts for the LRP S5
- Magnification: 3.6-18×50, and 5-25×56
- Weight: 32.3oz for the 3.6-18 model, and 35.6oz for the 5-25 model
- Overall Length: 13″ and 15.6″ respectively
- Reticle: ZF-MOAi (MOA) or ZF-MRi (MRAD)
- Eye Relief: 3.5″
- Elevation Adjustment Range: 40.7 MRAD / 140 MOA
- Fogproof: Nitrogen purged
- Waterproof: 400mbar tested
- MSRP: $3299 for the 3.6-18 and $3599 for the 5-25
- Release Date: Shipping now