Hello and welcome back to another edition of The Rimfire Report! This ongoing series is all about rimfire firearms, ammunition, sports, accessories, and practices. The Ruger 10/22 is a firearm that has seen an overwhelming amount of aftermarket support since its introduction about halfway through the 20th century. Today we have all sorts of great accessories and aftermarket parts for the 10/22 platform including binary triggers, custom receivers, function upgrades, aftermarket barrels, and of course aftermarket chassis. The 10/22 aftermarket chassis market now has a load of options to choose from and any of the ones on this list can turn your rifle from a plain plinker into a more versatile rig capable of doing more than Bill Ruger ever intended for the 10/22.
More Rimfire Report @ TFB:
- The Rimfire Report: Is it the End of Days for .17 HM2?
- The Rimfire Report: The Phoenix Arms HP22 22LR Pocket Pistol
- The Rimfire Report: SilencerCo Switchback Modular Suppressor
- The Rimfire Report: Is the Jennings J-22 Really that Bad?
The Rimfire Report: The Top 4 10/22 Aftermarket Chassis
Grey Birch Solutions Foundation Chassis
The Grey Birch Solutions foundation Chassis is a premium option that has a bunch of bells and whistles suited for a variety of 10/22 shooting activities. The chassis comes complete with its own fully adjustable folding stock which is also detachable from the main part of the chassis itself. The forend as it is called by Grey Birch can accept aftermarket AR-15 pistol grips and features a clear hard coat anodized finish. The most unique about the receiver is its rear tensioning point which gives your 10/22 receiver the second point of tension. The forward rail section has both ARCA and M-LOK attachment points.
- 688 Grams in Weight
- LOP: 13″-14.5″
- OAL: 25″-26.5″
- OAL Folded” 16″
- 6061-T6 Aluminum
- Can be sold with the stock fixed
- **Does not include pistol grip**
- Compatible with most 10/22® pattern receivers and trigger groups without modification.
- $499.99 from Grey Birch Solutions
Enoch industries ODIN Chassis System
Welcome to the Odin Chassis System. The ultimate in compact versatility for the 10/22® platform. Incorporating all the current AR-15 attachment standards gives you a level of function that previously couldn’t be found for the beloved Ruger® 10/22® platform.
This pistol-oriented chassis system features QD 360 degree sling cups on either side, a full set of M-LOK slots, and of course a rear M1913 rail section for the attachment of a brace or single point sling.
- Weight 12.22 oz
- Dimensions 12.75 × 1.5 × 1.5 in
- Material 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum
- Product weight 12.22 oz. including all hardware
- Length: 12.75″
- Width: 1.5″
- Height: 1.5″
- Grips: All non-beavertail grips and some beavertail grips with modifications to grip
- Stocks: 3 Picatinny slots at the rear of chassis for a brace or stock attachments’
- Receivers: Will fit all standard, non-takedown receivers excluding the Supergrade with integral tang. If it fits other standard stocks, it is compatible with the Odin Chassis System.
- Attachments: M-Lok slots at 3, 6, and 9-o’clock
- QD inserts: 2 nitrided 360° anti-rotational steel inserts
- Barrel channel inner dimension: 1.015″
- Barrel lengths: Using a 6″ barrel brings the threaded muzzle .575″ past the handguard, exposing threads for silencers. Also works great for that rifle build.
- Anodizing Color: Black, PEWter, Bronze’n
- MSRP: $185.00 – $225.00 at Enoch Industries
The SB Tactical SB22™ FIXED KIT for the 10/22
This SB Tactical design was made in tandem with Unity Tactical and features a few other unique upgrades other than just the ability to mount an aftermarket stock or pistol stabilizing brace. The SB22 Fixed Kit as well as the takedown kit also feature an extended top Picatinny rail section for the addition of even more accessories like laser illuminators and weapon-mounted lights. The SB22 chassis would probably be my go-to aftermarket chassis for backpacking use. The SB22 also happens to be the most affordable option on this list.
- Lightweight, polymer chassis with aluminum insert, Picatinny (M1913) rear, and integral, ambidextrous QD sling socket
- Accepts standard AR-15 pistol grips (Reptilia® CQG™ Grip included)
Includes Picatinny (M1913) Bridge Mount and Flat Top Cover
- Proudly made in the USA
- Polymer Chassis
- Reptilia® CQG™ Grip
- Picatinny (M1913) Bridge Mount
- Flat Top Cover
- $124.99 at SB Tactical
Magpul Hunter X-22 Takedown Stock
This one requires the use of a takedown model carbine but the Hunter stock is also sold in a non-takedown configuration. The Magpul Hunter series of stocks is well renowned within the 10/22 community and the X22 comes in a number of different color variations and also features compatibility with almost any 10/22 aftermarket barrel. Despite its appearance, the Hunter X-22 takedown stock also features a length of pull and comb height adjustments.
- Butt-Pad Dimensions 1.5 x 5.0 in.
- Compatibility Factory Ruger® 10/22 Takedown® .22 LR receivers
- LOP Adjustment Range ~12.5-14.5 in.
- Weight 2.37 lbs (with two Spacers installed)
- Width of Butt, max 1.5 in.
- Width of Forend, max 1.9 in.
- Compatible with all capacities of factory Ruger® 10/22® magazines
- $133.44 on Amazon
Depending on your specific goals and needs, each of these 10/22 chassis systems may or may not appeal more to you. I particularly like the SB22 chassis mostly because of its extra top rail space for more accessories like lights. The Grey Birch Solutions chassis is also very nice if not a bit expensive for what it is. As always you really can’t go wrong with anything that Magpul makes as their quality control has always been top tier and their product design is always thoughtful and useful and really adds to almost any stock gun. I’d like to hear what your experiences with any of these 10/22 aftermarket chassis have been and what your number one pick would be if you could have any chassis for your own 10/22. Let us know down in the comments and thanks as always for reading The Rimfire Report!