Considered by many to be one of the best entry-level AR platforms on the market, the Smith & Wesson MSR M&P15T saw a lot of success in the modern sporting rifle market. With S&W’s Armornite finished barrel, Magpul MBUS sights and a 10″ free float quad rail from the factory, the first generation M&P15T had a lot to offer. Smith & Wesson is now offering an updated version of the M&P15T with their new M&P15T II Tactical MSR.
Smith & Wesson @ TFB:
- New M&P Spec Series Kit Introduced by Smith & Wesson
- GUNSMARTS Series 2 Launched by Smith & Wesson
- Smith & Wesson Offers M&P15 SBR Through Mil Vet/LEO Program
- Smith & Wesson Plans to Sell Thompson/Center Arms Brand
The New Smith & Wesson MSR – The M&P15T II Rifle
So what enhancements have been made to the new Smith & Wesson MSR? The new rifle starts off with new premium features like a full-length M-LOK handguard, a flat face trigger, Magpul CTR stock, an M&P grip with four interchangeable palmswell grip inserts, ambidextrous controls, forged oversized trigger guard, M4E flash suppressor, patented rubber buffers in the lower receiver for tighter tolerances and improved accuracy, and finally a Radian Raptor-LT ambidextrous charging handle.
Smith & Wesson M&P15T II Specs:
- SKU: 13492
- Model: M&P®15T II
- Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/.223
- Capacity: 30+1
- Safety: Manual Safety on Lower
- Length: 36.9
- Front Sight: Folding Magpul® MBUS®
- Rear Sight: Folding Magpul® MBUS®
- Action: Gas Operated Semi-Auto
- Stock: Magpul® CTR Carbine Stock
- Grip: M&P® with Interchangeable Palmswell Grip Inserts
- Barrel Material: 4140 Chrome-Moly Vanadium Steel
- Barrel Twist: 1:8˝ Twist, 5R Rifling
- Barrel Length: 16″
- Weight: 6.7 lb
With the M&P15T II, we set out to include some of the latest features that consumers demand on a high-end MSR – a full-length handguard, flat face trigger, ambidextrous controls, and more. The M&P15T II delivers premium enhancements in a high-performance modern sporting rifle.
-Vince Perreault, Senior Brand Manager – Smith & Wesson
The M&P15T II is available now at an MSRP of $1,372. I really like the idea of the M&P pistol style grip added to the rifle and I’d be keen to try one out some time to see if that style of grip would be comfortable enough to use with a rifle. Other enhancements like the flat-faced trigger and radian charging handle are also great additions in my opinion. What do you think? has Smith & Wesson added enough value to the M&P15T II for you to consider this for a first rifle?
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.