Ruger‘s magnificent rimfire rifle, the 10/22, has been a staple of gun safes for more than half a century. With all-time production numbers in the millions and a veritable host of various models available today, this handy little plinker ascends beyond its diminutive chambering and offers a great solution for a plethora of different shooters and purposes. Whether you want to use it as a teaching tool for younger or newer shooters, a fun range toy, a varmint hunter, a rimfire competition platform, and many other roles, the 10/22 can meet your need.
Since 1987, it has even seen use in limited numbers with the Israeli Defense Force. Ruger’s line of takedown 10/22s have increased the platform’s portability, by allowing the gun to be split between the barrel and action for compact storage and transport. Magpul’s X-22 Backpacker stock was announced as an aftermarket upgrade in 2017. Now after three years of that product’s success, Ruger and Magpul have teamed up to offer a takedown 10/22 with Magpul’s X-22 stock installed straight from the factory.
Ruger’s product page describes this 10/22 as follows:
- Features a Magpul® X-22 Backpacker stock with an ergonomic handguard, optional QD sling mounting capability, integrated storage compartment in the grip, a hinged storage compartment in the stock capable of storing up to three spare 10-round magazines, an MOE SL® non-slip rubber buttpad, and a unique locking interface to attach the barrel assembly to the receiver when being transported.
- Easy takedown enables quick separation of the barrel from the action for ease of transportation and storage. Takedown is as simple as locking the bolt back and verifying that the rifle is unloaded, pushing a recessed lever, twisting the subassemblies and pulling them apart.
- Simple reassembly allows for a secure connection of the barrel and action and returns the firearm to zero, even when receiver-mounted optics are used, ensuring consistent accuracy, shot after shot.
- This legendary action is a tried and true Ruger design that ensures consistent, reliable performance.
- Detachable 10-round rotary magazine features a unique rotor to separate cartridges and provide reliable feeding.
- Easy-to-use, prominent magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.
- Precision-rifled, cold hammer-forged barrel.
- Positive, push-button, cross-bolt manual safety.
- Combination scope base adapter for both Weaver-style and .22 tip-off scope mounts included.
- Heat-stabilized, glass-filled, polymer trigger housing assembly is precision made of high-tech material for improved manufacturing tolerances, impact and abrasion-resistance and an unmatched ability to withstand the elements.
- The receiver and stock combine to create classic lines for attractive styling.
- Compatible with the Silent-SR® sound suppressor – Learn More
- Also Includes: Four BX-1 magazines (Three in stock).
Although Ruger and Magpul have previously collaborated on takedown 10/22s as Davidson’s or Talo distributor exclusives, this newest version is the first that will be offered more wide-spread and available via full-scope distribution channels rather than on a more limited basis. MSRP is $529.00. It’s also the first one they’ve done in the “Stealth Gray” color. So if you’re in need of a compact, transportable rimfire rifle, give this one a look! Happy plinking, and we’ll see you at the range.