It appears that what many of us were predicting finally happened yesterday: GLOCK Gen4 guns are no longer being produced in favor of the Gen5 GLOCK pistols. Residents of California and other more restrictive states have nothing to fear: the Gen3 GLOCKs will continue to be manufactured to support those customers. In addition, the GLOCK Gen4 models chambered in .40S&W will begin a transition to Gen5 production later this year. A brief statement from GLOCK as well as the Gen5 differentiations can be found below.
End Of An Era: No More GLOCK Gen4 Guns; .40S&W Will Go Gen5
In an effort to intelligently preserve and grow the GLOCK brand and deliver uncompromised quality and maximum customer satisfaction, we are focused on our mission of future-oriented manufacturing technologies. This includes extending the latest Gen5 technology enhancements to the .40 caliber line of pistols. Availability will begin in October; however, the focus will be on supporting existing .40 caliber agencies on transitioning to the latest technologies within the law enforcement market. While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market. We look forward to bringing the performance improvements of the Gen5 technologies to other areas of product development.
Notable GLOCK Gen5 changes:
- nDLC finish is exclusive to the GLOCK manufacturing process and the Gen5 models at this time. The finish increases protection against corrosion and scratching and improves the ability of the pistol to function in degreased or adverse conditions.
- Flared mag-well has a larger funnel for faster, smoother reloads, particularly in high-stress situations where fractions of seconds matter.
- Glock Marksman Barrel (GMB) features a more aggressive polygonal rifling with a target-style crown and tighter chamber specs, which delivers improved accuracy.
- Ambidextrous slide stop levers offer increased ergonomics for left-hand shooters and shooting with the support hand.
- Removal of the finger grooves on the grip allowed for superior grip ergonomics and improved fit for various size hands.
- Firing pin safety and trigger spring enhancements enable the trigger housing to endure long term durability and result in a smoother trigger pull and improved trigger reset.