For the long range precision rifle shooter there seems to be two main ways of building the perfect rifle.
Either make your rifle as light as possible, ultra-lightweight, or (within limits) as heavy as possible.
I recently helped a friend carry his ultra-light competition AR15, and I have to say I like the idea but need more rounds behind the trigger to make up my mind. And, of course, AR15s are generally speaking not the same thing as a long range rifle.
XLR Industries now has a new chassis called Element 3.0. It is available either in aluminium or magnesium.
The magnesium chassis is machined from solid AZ61A Magnesium, uses AICS pattern magazines, has MLOK compatibility and can be configured with a variety of butt-stocks.
So how heavy is it? Weight starts at 16 ounces and varies slightly based on inlet.
Configured with the TR-2 Butt-stock, Ergo Tactical deluxe Grip, complete package weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces. That’s only 1.19 kilograms.
I know the picture above says another figure for the weight, but that is for the version machined from solid 6061 T-6 billet aluminium.
How much is it? Judging by the website the aluminium chassis starts from $407.00, and then you can add various options.
For the Element 3.0 Magnesium Chassis it is $557.00.
Carbon fibre for me, please.
The chassis is available in a number of colors (at time of writing):
- Anodized Black. Standard hard black finish at no additional cost.
- Cerakote H-236 Olive Drab Green is a standard military green-brown color with a flat finish.
- Cerakote H-148 Burnt Bronze is a medium bronze color with light gold metallic flake.
- Cerakote H-216 Smith & Wesson Red, standard rich red tone.
- Cerakote H-237 Tungsten Grey is a dark grey with metallic flake.
- Cerakote H-265 Flat Dark Earth is a medium brown earth tone with a flat finish.
The new Element 3.0 introduces a new level of ultra-lightweight performance for the outdoor sporting enthusiast! A first for XLR, our Element 3.0 is available in both 6061 Aluminum and AZ61A Magnesium. These materials make the Element 3.0 the first rifle chassis in the world to offer a complete starting weight under 2 lbs. including buttstock and grip!
The new Element 3.0 chassis is what we consider to be the ultimate culmination of function, flexibility, and price. Whether your needs call for a hunting, target, or precision rifle, the Element 3.0 can cover all your bases. The all-aluminum construction allows utmost strength and simplicity with weights starting at 22 ounces (chassis), and 35 ounces for complete package. The universal nature of this chassis allows the user to configure the chassis setup to over 8 lbs if desired. .
Chassis can be inletted for:
- Remington 700 Short Action (clones)
- Remington 700 Long Action with a 3.850″ Magwell (clones)
- Howa 1500 Short Action
- Savage Short (10,11,12,14,16) Top or Bottom Bolt Release
- Savage Axis Short Action
- Tikka T3 Short Action Calibers Only
- Tikka T1 Rimfire (factory magazine only)
- CZ 457 Rimfire (factory magazine only)
Note that the chassis can have up to an approximate 5-7 week lead time depending on configuration.
What do you think of magnesium in a chassis? Do you prefer light or heavy rifles?