Seismic High Mass Ammunition is fresh off of winning one of TriggrCon’s Golden Trigger Awards with their 9mm QuakeMaker +M 185 Grain HP ammunition so we had to give them a closer look! Their claim to fame is making heavy for caliber bullets that are ripe for silencer use, and personal defense. They do not have the Ft-Lbs of Energy or explicit Velocity of their ammunition published at this time, but they share these specifications:
- Quakemaker +M Projectile – With projectiles that range from 1.6 – 2.5 times HEAVIER than standard ammunition, the Quakemaker +M projectile knocks out the competition
- Shell Shock Case – Specially made Shell Shock cases are 50% lighter, twice as strong and less abrasive than brass casings. The nickel alloy stainless steel is self-lubricating and can easily be picked up by a magnet after shooting.
- Redline Base – Shell Shock cases are two-piece assemblies. The base is made with red anodized aircraft grade aluminum which is gentler on the extractor and ejector versus conventional brass. The color identifies it as a heavier load.
- Destructive Momentum greater than Conventional Rounds even at Sub-Sonic Velocities
Seismic’s QuakeMaker +M 9mm bullets are heavier and deliver far greater momentum than any other 9mm, and at subsonic velocities, they are ideal for suppressors (cue our Editor Pete getting ready to test these through his favorite silencer). According to Seismic’s FAQ page on their website, the velocity typically ranges between 900 – 1,000 FPS depending on barrel length, and they recommend using a full-size pistol or carbine for optimum expansion and performance.
They have some interesting packaging because they have chosen to make boxes of 21 rounds each as opposed to 20, 25, or even 50 cartridges per box. Their logic being consumers who own 10-Round magazines could fill at least 2 full mags and have 1 round left to put in the chamber of their chosen carry pistol. The pricing for the quantity you may want to pick up is as follows:
- 185gr 9mm 21 Round Bonus Pack – MSRP $28.98
- 185gr 9mm 21 Round Bonus Pack Half Case – MSRP $173.88
- 185gr 9mm 21 Round Bonus Pack Full Case – MSRP $347.76
While some ammunition manufacturers try to go for bullets as light and ferociously fast as possible, Seismic High Mass Ammunition has flipped the script and gone the other way. Personally, I am becoming more addicted to silencers every year so I am loving the concept of this ammunition, but what do you think? Is this something you would be willing to put in your everyday carry pistol? Would you plug some through a silencer? Let us know all of your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.