The march towards 300 Blackout world domination continues! Ruger has just announced the AR-556 Pistol chambered in the heavier supersonic/subsonic crossover round. Details, specifications and other information can be found below.
If I had the ear of the good people inside the product development and marketing teams at Ruger, I might suggest a name change for this gun. The AR-556 Pistol designation, to me, is slightly confusing since the firearm itself is actually chambered in 300BLK. Mistakes happen, and I’m not in the camp of “don’t own 300BLK, it will blow up your 5.56mm AR15”. However, when we have the opportunity to make the consumer’s job easier, I believe we should do so. So Ruger, how about AR-300 for this new addition to your lineup?
Either way, I believe these pistols will move off the shelves with ease.
Announced: Ruger AR-556 Pistol Chambered In 300 Blackout
- Feature: SB Tactical® SBA3™ Pistol Stabilizing Brace®
- HandguardFree-Float with M-LOK® Attachment Slots
- Sights: None
- Barrel Length: 10.50″
- Thread Pattern: 5/8″-24
- Type: Pistol
- Twist: 1:7″ RH
- Capacity: 30
- Finish: Type III Hard Coat Anodized
- Height: 7.20″
- Weight: 5.8 lb.
- Overall Length: 25″ – 27.60″
- Grooves: 5
- Available in CA: No
- Available in MA: No
- Suggested Retail$949.00
- Lower receiver is fitted with an adjustable SB Tactical® SBA3™ Pistol Stabilizing Brace® to aid in accuracy, balance and recoil management.
- Handguard is free-floating for accuracy and the slim, 9″ length provides enhanced ergonomics and support. Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions.
- Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flattop upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector.
- Bolt is machined from 9310 alloy steel and is shot peened and pressure (proof) tested to ensure strength, structural integrity and durability.
- Pistol-length gas system ensures reliable function with a wide variety of ammunition.
- Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. M4 feed ramps provide improved reliability, and the matte black oxide finish reduces glare and provides corrosion resistance.
- Bolt carrier and gas key have chrome-plated inside diameters to provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing.
- A matte black oxide finish on the exterior of the bolt carrier provides corrosion resistance.
- The 5/8″-24 threaded barrel with factory-installed thread protector allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.
- Also includes: One, 30-round metal magazine.
AR-556 Pistol Now in .300 Blackout
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) is pleased to announce a new AR-556® Pistol chambered in .300 Blackout. The second addition to the Ruger® AR-556 Pistol line features a10.50” cold hammer-forged barrel with a 1:7” twist and pistol-length gas system to reliably function with both the lightest supersonic hunting rounds and heavy, subsonic rounds.
This new .300 Blackout model is equipped with an adjustable SB Tactical® SBA3™ Pistol Stabilizing Brace® that features a minimalist design and integral QD sling sockets. The pistol also boasts a 9” aluminum free-float handguard with Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots for easy user customization.
The dust cover and metal magazine are marked with the caliber for easy identification of both the pistol and ammunition. The pistol-length gas system is tuned to run with a wide variety of ammunition, with or without a silencer. The 5/8”-24 muzzle threads are capped with a thread protector.
For more information on the AR-556 Pistol, or to learn more about the extensive line of award-winning Ruger firearms, visit Ruger.com or Facebook.com/Ruger. To find accessories for the AR-556 Pistol and other Ruger firearms, visit ShopRuger.com or your local independent retailer of Ruger firearms.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.