Over the years TFB has documented the ups and downs of Wildey Guns, up to 2015 when the rights to manufacture this iconic pistol were acquired by US Firearms Corp. (USAFC). We had then to wait until last year to finally see the official re-introduction to market of their improved Wildey Survivor Pistol in .44 Auto Mag.
Now USAFC is releasing the “Bronson Gun” recalling how the pistol was made famous thanks to its use by Charles Bronson’s character in the movie Death Wish 3.
Find below the full press release.
The Forgotten Classic — The Bronson Gun
- Developed in 1973
- The Wildey Survivor was made popular by Charles Bronson in Death Wish 3.
- It’s the first gas operated, double/single-action pistol and was designed as a hunting firearm.
- Like Clint Eastwood and the .44 Magnum and James Bond with the Walther PPK, Charles Bronson made the Wildey Survivor famous.
- It is still referred to as “The Bronson Gun”.
- The rights were purchased from its designer, Wildey J. Moore, by USA Firearms Corp. in 2015.
- Bronson loved this gun.
- Pictured is Charles Bronson and Wildey Moore.
- The Wildey Survivor also appeared in other movies like Natural Born Killers, Desperado, Romeo Must Die & Robocop 3.
The Wildey Survivor
The Survivor is a large caliber, gas operated handgun with interchangeable barrels that make it fast and simple to switch between calibers or barrel lengths.
Its patented gas operation can be set for different loads and helps to greatly reduce recoil. The 3 lug and enclosed face rotary bolt design increases action strength, while the fixed barrel results in increased accuracy. The gun’s stainless steel construction ensures quality and durability while giving it a sleek look. The Survivor has everything you could need in a powerful, accurate handgun.
The Survivor is a customizable gun popular with big bore handgun hunters (hunting of hog, bear, elk, moose, etc.), backyard shooters, and collectors which features multiple calibers, barrel lengths and finishes. Barrels are interchangeable, and you can change your one receiver to any available calibers or lengths with ease.
The Survivor is available in many customizable options:
- Calibers: 475 Wildey Magnum, 45 Winchester Magnum, or 44 Auto Mag
- Action: Single Action Only or Single Action / Double Action
- Barrel length: 8”, 10”, or 12”
- Finish: Brushed Stainless, High Buff Stainless, or Matte Stainless
- Rib Color: Gray or Black
- Front Sight Color: Red, Orange, or Black
- Grips: Pau Ferro Smooth or Textured, or American Walnut Smooth
- Logo: Survivor or Wildey
USAFC website further clarifies the configuration of the “Bronson Gun” on their order page, with the following note:
The “Bronson Gun” from the Death Wish 3 movie is a .475 Brushed Stainless Finish with a 10″ barrel and gray rib.
A configuration which, according to the price list, should fit within the base price of $2,750.
USAFC also appears genuinely active in supporting the community of Wildey owners offering not only repair services but also useful resources such as manuals and reloading recipes. This may be welcome news to owners of older models who may have been keeping their pistols as safe queens to prevent the risk of damaging the not easily repairable guns.
Along with the resurrection of the Automag, this is another piece of firearm history that seems to be coming back to stay. And this is always great news.
All photos from www.usafirearmscorp.com.