Federal Premium‘s coveted Hydra-Shok bullet that has been backed by law enforcement and civilians the world over is finally being sold as an individual reloading component so you can handload your own Hydra-Shok ammunition. Over the past year Federal Premium has been bolstering their reloading component offerings to shooters and the announcement of the Hydra-Shok bullet may be the most exciting yet.
Their specialty hollow-point has been copied, but never duplicated for decades because of its tremendous performance. For those who are uninitiated to this popular defense round, these are some of the characteristics that Federal Premium touts in their own words:
- Proven Self-Defense Bullet Design now available as a Component for Reloading
- Superb Accuracy & Overall Ballistic Performance
- Notched Copper Jacket
- Center-Post Hollow-Point Design provides reliable Expansion
To start out, Federal is going to be offering 4 different calibers with multiple grain weights for shooters to pick from. This will give them the ability to create a host of different cartridges like 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP as some easy examples. All of the different offerings and their associated price-points can be read below as presented by Federal Premium:
- .355 Cal 124 Grain | 100 Count | PB9HS124 | MSRP $30.95
- .355 Cal 147 Grain | 100 Count | PB9HS147 | MSRP $30.95
- .357 Cal 129 Grain | 100 Count | PB38HS129 | MSRP $30.95
- .357 Cal 158 Grain | 100 Count | PB357HS158 | MSRP $31.95
- .40 Cal 165 Grain | 50 Count | PB40HS165 | MSRP $16.95
- .40 Cal 180 Grain | 50 Count | PB40HS180 | MSRP $16.95
- .451 Cal 185 Grain | 50 Count | PB45HS185 | MSRP $18.95
- .451 Cal 230 Grain | 50 Count | PB45HS230 | MSRP $18.95
If the legacy of this bullet is not enough to open a reloaders wallet to give these a try, then Federal Premium has this Press Release to share with handloaders to see if they can firmly make them a believer and user of their newest reloading component:
Introduced in 1989, Hydra-Shok remains one of the most popular choices for protecting home and family, thanks to a proven hollow point and iconic center post that provide extremely consistent and effective expansion. Now available in a complete range of bullet weights and diameters.
The most important thing though is what do you, our readers and subject-matter-experts, think? Is the Hydra-Shok bullet something that you would be willing to reload and carry in your everday carry pistol? Would you handload it to make popcans explode? Let us know all of your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.