With the increase in popularity of long range precision rifle shooting and competitions on the rise, Yankee Hill Machine has introduced their Modular Aluminum Rifle Chassis. The chassis is compatible with Remington 700 short and long actions as well as some Savage short actions. Many similarly patterned custom actions will fit and function as well.
Yankee Hill Machine sent me the MARC along with the carbine stock adapter, the M-LOK handguard, and the ARCA Swiss attachment rail. The components were easy to assemble. I had a Remington 700 short barreled action chambered in .223 that I was able to simply drop in and tighten down. Assembly was a breeze. With the V-Bedding system in the chassis, no gunsmith was required.
The fit and finish of the MARC is excellent. Occasionally when it comes to modular stocks or chassis, some of the various components don’t “line up” correctly. The more pieces that there are to fit perfectly together, the more trouble you can run into with alignment and accuracy issues down the line. This is one reason stocks and chassis are typically milled from one piece. The MARC doesn’t seem to struggle from any of these issues, however.
From a competition standpoint, the modular aluminum rifle chassis has several nice features I would like to highlight. First, it is completely ambidextrous. It has a removable plate opposite the bolt handle so the end user can run a left-handed action if desired. Second, is the ARCA Swiss plate that can be purchased separately and attached to the underside of the MARC. This matters because shooting off of tripods is becoming quite common in competition and of course in the hunting environments. Finally, it accepts AICS patterned magazines which are among the most common and reliable available to shooters today.
Aesthetics are not unimportant, and I for one appreciate the tactical look of this chassis system. The price isn’t bad either. At $499.00 the YHM MARC chassis is one of the least expensive you will find in the precision rifle market. The M-LOK handguard gives you the ability to attach your favorite accessories quickly. I recommend a solid bipod. I have included a specifications list below and more information can be found at www.yhm.net .
MARC(TM) SERIES OF BOLT ACTION CHASSIS.
- “V” bedding of the action for increased accuracy.
- Allows use of barrels up to 1.3″ diameter.
- 6061 T-6 aluminum with a type III class 2 hardcoat anodize.
- Accommodates sling and bi-pod mounting along with other YHM branded bolt on accessories.
- Users can choose between Carbine or A2 stock adapters for a variety of stock options to custom tailor to their shooting needs.
- Optional M-LOK handguard available.
- Accepts standard AR style grips. Grip location is optimized for comfort and consistent trigger pull.
- Fit’s most aftermarket triggers.
- Ambidextrous design for left and right handed bolt operation along with a provided block off plate to fill in the unused bolt handle cutout.
- Accepts AICS magazines and utilizes a Melonited magazine catch.
- Integrated thumb rest for increased comfort and accuracy.
- Comes with new hardware for mounting the action.
- Accommodates up to a 3/8″ recoil lug.
- Heavily chamfered magwell.
- Fits 3rd gen (2005 & up) Savage short actions with 4.4″ screw spacing.
- $499 retail.