Federal Premium has expanded out their line of Hydra Shok Deep to now include .40 S&W and .45 ACP for those who rely on those cartridges for carry and protection. This bolstering of the Hydra Shok Deep line of ammunition occurred recently in the middle of February and firearm retailers are now seeing shipments of the cartridges arrive for sale to shooters.
It was only one year ago that Federal Premium screwed on their thinking caps and brought new ingenuity to their staple Hydra Shok bullet design. Our very own Andrew from TFBTV was able to test the 9mm round when it 1st came out through both a shorter length barreled pistol and a longer one. His videos and review of the ammunition can be watched below:
Andrew always does a tremendous job for all of us by explaining the nuances of disruption in a ballistics gel block we may all overlook. Some of the characteristics of this newer ammo that Federal Premium is touting can be read below as well.
- Penetrates 15 inches in bare ballistics gel and through heavy clothing — the optimal depth according to FBI standards
- Improved penetration to optimal depths
- Significant improvement in FBI protocol score
- Iconic center post design has been improved for better, more consistent expansion through standard barriers
- Consistent, specially formulated propellant
- Extremely reliable Federal primer
Many of the features and benefits of this ammunition are very consistent with the traditional Hydra Shok line of ammo, but Hydra Shok Deep also does what the name implies: it reaches a little deeper if needed. Whether that is to break through barriers like FBI Protocol testing requires or for other defensive reasons like in a sidearm while hunting. The pricing for all 3 calibers being offered can be viewed below:
- P9HSD1 | 9mm Luger 135 Grain Hydra-Shok Deep HP | MSRP $27.95
- P40HSD1 | .40 S&W 165 Grain Hydra-Shok Deep HP | MSRP $31.95 NEW
- P45HSD1 | .45 Auto 210 Grain Hydra-Shok Deep HP | MSRP $33.95 NEW
So without shooting some yourself, what do you guys and gals think? Is this something that you would like to put in your carry gun? Take with you hunting in a primary or secondary firearm? Let us know your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.