In the middle of 2018, suppressor manufacturer SilencerCo offered customers a deal: buy one suppressor, get another one free. While there were some tiers and limitations to the promotion, the SilencerCo BOGO incentive was overwhelmingly considered to be a great deal. Potential buyers who were on the fence of making an NFA purchase were nudged forward by a ‘two for the price of one’ limited offer.
The problem is, as my father always used to tell me as a kid, ‘there is no free lunch’. While SilencerCo BOGO customers waited patiently for their registration to be processed, timelines stretched from weeks to months. And as we sit in the middle of February 2019, apparently a large majority of buyers are still waiting on some basic communication from the West Valley City, UT based company.
In a ten page thread started in July of 2018 on AR15.com, my silencer friends have vented their frustrations at the BOGO deal they are now locked into. While on its surface, a buy one, get one free promo in the silencer world is like wining the lottery, the reality is that many buyers wouldn’t have bought a SilencerCo silencer in the the first place without the added incentive of receiving an additional “free” suppressor.
Delivery timelines have stretched from weeks to months and now apparently up to a year from customer’s original purchase dates. I’ve shared some of their experiences below.
Customer Frustrations: The SilencerCo BOGO Suppressor Deal
- 06/21 – Purchased through SS
- 06/21 – Registered on SilencerCo website
- 07/14 – SilencerCo email – registration received
- 07/14 – SilencerCo email – Only One Day Left!
- 07/18 – Check Cashed
- 09/04 – SilencerCo email – registration confirmed
- 09/21 – SilencerCo email – registration approved
- 7/11/18 Email from SiCo employee acknowledging registration. I registered a few days earlier I believe but had no acknowledgement it was received. A phone call to SiCo confirmed that had received my registration and this email was sent shortly after the phone call. (“Please allow up to 4 months”)
- 7/14/2018 Email from SiCo confirming registration has been received and being reviewed (“Goal is approximately 4 months”)
- 9/4/2018 Email from SiCo saying registration is complete (“Minimum of 4 months”)
- 9/21/2018 Email from SiCo saying registration is complete and approved (“Minimum of 4 months”)
- July 2, 2018 bought SilencerCo Hybrid 46 and selected Octane 9 for free can
- July 14, 2018 received email from SilencerCo saying my registration has been received and is being reviewed and shipping of free can within approx 4 months
- Sept 4, 2018 received email from SilencerCo saying my registration was complete and that once approved they will begin to process order. Allow MINIMUM 4 months to ship free suppressor.
- Haven’t heard anything since.
- 6/15/18: bought Maxim 9 and registered for free Octane 45K
- 6/20/18: email received stating invoice I submitted didn’t count, they needed a receipt (I emailed a receipt the same day)
- 6/21/18: received a “thank you for registering…we’ll be entering your free Octane 45K shortly…allow up to four months for it to ship” email
- 9/4/18: received a “thank you for registering…we have confirmed your registration is complete…please allow a minimum of 4 months” email
- 10/22/18: I sent an email saying my four months was up, I wanted a tracking number. They replied with an “our apologies…overwhelming success literally broke us…plan to start shipping by the end of November” email. At some point around this time, my local dealer received a shipment. But a majority of the silencers received were not his customers. When he called to ask them about mine, they mentioned they had no record of me registering, even though I’d received 3 different emails confirming I had. That eventually all got straightened out by them reassigning the silencers he received to his customers. He still had some owed to him, which have yet to be received…and I’m assuming he had some he did end up sending back.
- 10/26/18: F4 mailed for free can
- 11/1/18: CC charged
- 11/5/18: Octane 45K SN is Pending (called sometime in december befoee the shutdown and got that info)
Press Release: Silencer BOGO deal
In an effort to help my fellow silencer lovers in some small way, I’ve been in intermittent contact with SilencerCo over the past month. To their credit, they have admitted being overwhelmed by the promotion and have just issued this press release.
SilencerCo Summer Promotion Press Release
WEST VALLEY CITY, UT – February 14, 2019
Dear Valued Customer,
As a suppressor manufacturer, we thrive on setting the standard for quality and innovation, as well as excellent customer service. We have failed to deliver your free suppressor from the SilencerCo Summer Promotion in a timely manner, we apologize. The rebate submissions far exceeded our expectations.
We appreciate your patience and the opportunity to correct this situation for you. Please be assured that you will receive your free suppressor by the 29th of June 2019. We are committed to shipping your suppressor out as quickly and efficiently as possible, but most importantly providing you with a top-quality product. In order to keep this commitment to you, we increased our production and remain focused on quality.
We will provide regular updates on the status of your suppressor. In addition to the updates, we will send an email to you with a tracking number when your suppressor ships. Once the product arrives, it will be the dealer’s responsibility to contact you and start the tax stamp process.
We consider ourselves incredibly fortunate to have so many loyal customers. We want to thank you again for your patience regarding the summer promotion and your continued support of our products.
If you have any questions, please contact our customer service department at (801) 417-5384 or email us at [email protected].
Jonathon Shults, President
I’d like to hear from our TFB readers: did you participate in the SilencerCo BOGO incentive? Have you received your “free” silencer?