Ruger’s Hawkeye Long-Range Target is one of their best offerings for a precision rifle aside from the even more aptly named RPR (Ruger Precision Rifle). It was initially offered in .300 Winchester Magnum, but now you can purchase it in the tremendously popular 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) as well. As the sport of precision rifle shooting and the novelty of learning how far can I truly shoot grows, the Hawkeye Long-Range Target 6.5 PRC could be a strong candidate for anyone’s wish list.
One key component most shooters are looking for is customization. Whether it is getting the rifle to fit themselves or setting it up with their preferred bi-pod, scope, and other related accessories. The Ruger Hawkeye Long-Range Target 6.5 PRC offers room for a lot of customization. The complete specification listing for this rifle, as presented by Ruger, can be read below:
- Heavy-contour target barrel features a Ruger Precision Rifle® Hybrid Muzzle Brake to effectively reduce recoil while minimizing noise and blast to the sides of the shooter.
- Free-floated, cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspace and centralized chamber.
- 20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four, #8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities overtop the traditional patented integral scope mounts that are machined directly on the solid-steel receiver.
- Two-tone Target stock features two-way adjustable comb, adjustable pull length with soft rubber buttpad, QD attach points and flush mounted Lower M-LOK® rail.
- Unique, two stage, adjustable target trigger with a short “take-up” stage, followed by a crisp, light target pull with no creep or overtravel.
- Non-rotating, Mauser-type controlled round feed extractor is the most positive case extraction system ever invented, and features a fixed blade-type ejector that positively ejects the empty cases as the bolt is moved fully rearward.
- Three-position safety is easily accessible and allows the shooter to lock the bolt or to load and unload the rifle with the safety engaged.
- Ships with one AI-Style magazine.
- Rugged one-piece, stainless steel bolt
The current MSRP for the Ruger Hawkeye Long-Range Target 6.5 PRC and the other calibers offered are benchmarked at $1,279. The one downfall to the Long-Range Target 6.5 PRC compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor and .300 Win Mag is the lesser ammo capacity. With the in-line magazine, the 6.5 PRC only holds 3 rounds while the 6.5 Creedmoor and .300 Win Mag respectively hold 10 and 5.
For our audience of readers, who has touched off a 6.5 PRC rifle already? Are you a fan of the cartridge? Would you entertain purchasing this rifle? Let us know your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.