Hopefully, everyone has made it through Thanksgiving, had a delightful self-induced food coma, and re-emerged with renewed vigor for firearms and Christmas wish lists at the ready! If you fancy yourself an affectionate lover of the 1911, what would be your dream custom 1911? There are many gorgeous, intricate, and masterfully designed models out on the market if you know where to look. Some can have an entry point of $1,000 while others you may need quite a bit more coin than that to take them for a spin. So for this month, we propose this question to you… What is the BEST Custom 1911?
This is the third installment for Reader’s Choice Awards. Based on feedback from our Subject-Matter-Experts (you, our beloved readers) we are going to play around with the selection criteria. Many of you commented that you felt certain guns should have been included on past lists that we missed. In general:
- Each month we are going to host a poll that you can vote on.
- Each month will be a different category (Optics, Revolver, Bolt Action Rifle, Concealed Carry Pistol, etc.).
- The list of entries will be curated from the top sales in the preceding six months. This is solely to introduce some objectivity into it; there must be some popularity if it tops the sales list (or is horrifically expensive)
- A random winner will be picked from voters and that winner will get some swag.
- You can vote for your choice every day while the poll is running and you can earn an extra entry for telling us WHY you chose it (we will pick some of the most creative and highlight them during the results post)
- At the end of the month, we will post the winning choice (along with the other results) and the company will get some bragging rights (if they want them). They do not get a swag pack.
You, the readers, get to suggest items that should be part of this poll. Each day we will troll our own comments section and look for suggestions that have four (4) or more “upvotes,” and those will be added to the poll. Since you will be allowed to vote daily, there is always a chance that your suggestion could make it to the top!
To begin, we will attempt to establish a baseline. Any 1911 worthy of the name “Custom” better flatly be expensive. No shade-tree, gun mechanic models accepted here (rattle-can spray finishes are not equal to Cerakote). Also, there must be an acknowledged improvement in performance, durability, and/or accuracy. While many of us will pitch out a lot of money for aesthetics and appearance there better be more to offer than that in price tags pushing $1K+ or more. We will offer up some great suggestions, but it is up to YOU our readers to give us potentially even better suggestions and ultimately decide the title of BEST Custom 1911!
Once again, please Vote daily… provide us in the Comments with your own suggestions for the COMPANY that produces it… and entertain these manufacturers and models (in no specific order)…
- Republic Forge RO426 (MSRP $5,145) – Blue Mammoth Marrow Grips, Hard Chrome Magwell, Case-Colored Slide & Frame, Texas Star Hammer
- Cabot “Black Diamond Deluxe” Limited Edition (MSRP $11,995) – Mammoth Tooth Grips, American 4140 Billet Steel, Collector Grade Finish
- Springfield Custom Professional 1911-A1 (MSRP $3,295) – All Components Custom-Fit, “Carry Bevel” of Complete Pistol, “Black T” finish
- Nighthawk Custom Shadow Hawk Government with Trijicon RMR (MSRP $4,795) – Fully Constructed by One Gunsmith, Match-Grade Barrel & Crown, Trijicon RMR Factory Installed
- Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade (MSRP $5,045) – Accuracy Guarantee of 1″ @ 25 Yards, Carbon Steel Frame & Slide, Match-Grade & Hand-Fit Barrel
- Les Baer Ultimate Master (MSRP $3,140) – Accuracy Guarantee of 3″ @ 50 Yards, National-Match Frame, Slide, Barrel & Bushing
- Colt Custom Competition Limited (MSRP $2,499) – National Match Barrel, Fully Adjustable Bomar Style Rear Sight, Fully Blended Magwell
- Ed Brown Custom “Exhibition Series” Signature Edition (MSRP $7,695) – Mirror Polish, Exhibition Engraving
So what do you think?… Does this initial list suck?… Or do you agree?… In any case, vote, let us know your thoughts in the Comments below, and suggest the Companies you think would be appropriate!