There is a new kid on the block of black rifles, and that is the Ruger AR-556 MPR 450 Bushmaster. This AR-15 will look to fill a niche market for AR-15 aficionados that also love to hunt. In some regions of the country, if you are hunting various game, local wildlife authorities do not allow center-fire rifle cartridges; that is, unless if they are straight-wall casings. For what is deemed safety reasons, this typically relegates hunters to using revolver cartridges or older lever-action calibers. Most of which either lack velocity, power, or both.
For that reason, an AR-15 in something like .450 Bushmaster can provide a consumer with a semi-automatic platform, larger capacity magazines, and more velocity and energy when connecting on game. With all of those reasons in mind, it makes for perfect timing to announce the AR-556 MPR 450 Bushmaster leading into many of the fall hunting seasons. To give a better description and outline of the features of this rifle, Ruger provides all of the specifications for the build below:
- Lower Receiver is fitted with Magpul® MOE® Grip and MOE SL™ Collapsible Buttstock on the Mil-Spec Buffer Tube.
- Handguard is Free-Floating for Accuracy and the Slim, 15″ Length provides Enhanced Ergonomics and Support.
- Flattop Upper Receiver includes an Enlarged Window for Easy Ejection as well as Forward Assist, Dust Cover and Brass Deflector. CNC-Machined from Mil-Spec Forging and Type III Hard Coat Anodized for Maximum Durability.
- Bolt is Machined from High-Strength Super-Alloy, more than 50% Stronger than Traditional MSR Bolt Materials & Engineered w/ Tapered Lugs to Support the Large Case Head of .450 Bushmaster Ammunition.
- The Ruger® Elite 452™ AR-Trigger is a Two-Stage Trigger that offers a Smooth, Crisp 4.5 Pound Trigger Pull. It features a Full-Strength Hammer Spring for Consistent Primer Ignition & a Lightweight Hammer that enables a 30% Faster Lock Time over Standard MSR Triggers.
- Carbine-Length Gas System provides the Most Reliable Function w/ .450 Bushmaster Ammunition.
- Magpul® M-LOK® Accessory Attachment Slots along the 3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 o’clock positions w/ Additional Slots on the Angled Faces near the Muzzle.
- Cold Hammer-Forged 4140 Chrome-Moly Steel Barrel w/ Ultra-Precise 5R Rifling & Black Nitrided Finish provides exceptional Accuracy, Longevity & Easy Cleaning. The 1:16″ Twist Rate maximizes Accuracy w/ Bullets Ranging from 170 – 260 Grains.
- Chrome-Plated Bolt Carrier inside Diameter & Chrome-Plated Gas Key inside Diameter provide exceptional Resistance to Hot Gases. The Gas Key is Staked so that it will not loosen after Extensive Firing.
- Ruger® Muzzle Brake is a Radial Port Design that Significantly Reduces Felt Recoil & Muzzle Movement. The 11/16″-24 Threaded Barrel allows for Standard Muzzle Accessories to be Installed.
- One, 5-Round Metal Box Magazine
What looks like a pretty unassuming AR-15 actually has a lot of clever-design and quality laced into it. The price-point of $1,099 seems very fair for a rifle of this caliber and quality, but what do you guys and gals think? Is this something you would find useful for where you are hunting? Does it intrigue you for other purposes like recreation? Let us know your thoughts in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.