Lately Federal Premium has been taking a lot of their ammunition offerings and modifying them to be even better than before. This has now extended into their Gold Medal Grand Paper Hull shotgun shells. Where some people might tread on the edge of safety with the phrase if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Federal Premium tends to look at things through the different lens of if it’s not broke, let’s make the whole thing better! OK, I cannot state with 100% certainty that is exactly their thought process, but it cannot be far from it.
One thing is certain, for that faction of shotgun shooters who enjoy the nostalgic Grand Paper Hull shells your go-to product just got better. Some of the improvements and features that you can come to expect from the newly engineered shells are as follows:
- Exclusive Federal Premium paper hull design
- Two-piece wad utilizes SoftCell technology to decrease perceived recoil and produce more uniform patterns than one-piece designs
- Rigid PrimerLock head improves primer sensitivity, ensuring proper ignition in the event of a light hit
- Lead shot is engineered for the optimum blend of hardness and density for even patterns and maximum downrange power
At this time they are only offered in 12 Gauge so if you are a niche advocate of 16 Gauge, 20 Gauge, 28 Gauge or .410 Gauge you will have to wait for potential future selections. The precise loads that are available at this time along with their associated expected price levels can be read below:
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | 2 3/4 Dram 1 Oz. | GMT175 8 | MSRP $13.95
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | 2 3/4 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. | GMT117 | MSRP $13.95
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | 2 3/4 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. | GMT117 8 | MSRP $13.95
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. | GMT118 7.5 | MSRP $13.95
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. | GMT118 8 | MSRP $13.95
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | HDCP 1 1/8 Oz. | GMT171 7.5 | MSRP $13.95
- 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ | HDCP 1 1/8 Oz. | GMT171 8 | MSRP $13.95
If all of that is not enough to make you a believer in the Gold Medal Grand Paper Hull shells then Federal Premium still has one last trick up their sleeve. Or better put, they have a press release statement to hopefully convince you to give them a try.
These new paper-hull loads combine Federal Premium Ammunition’s classic paper hull with an improved design that provides less felt recoil, more reliable ignition and improved shot hardness.
What do you, the readers, think? Have you ever shot these paper hull shotgun shells before? If not, do you think you would be willing to jump on board and give them a try? Let us know what your thoughts are in the Comments below!