Nikon has been hard at work behind the scenes because they have a new series of optics that covers the complete gamut of shooting. Everything from muzzleloading, shotguns, rimfire and centerfire rifles are covered. We will make our way through the new Prostaff P3 series today to see if any of these scopes catch your fancy.
Although Nikon has multiple new scopes for us that are dedicated to specific disciplines of shooting they all have some common ground in their features. Below is the complete specification listing for the Prostaff P3 series (where they share attributes) as provided by Nikon:
- Fully Multi-Coated Optical System: Multiple layers of anti-reflective compounds on every glass surface provide bright and vivid sight pictures, optimum light transmission and maximum brightness from dawn to dusk.
- Hand-Turn 1/4 MOA Adjustments & Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets: Reticle adjustments are made in crisp, positive 1/4 MOA click-stop moves that you can both feel and hear. Turret caps are all-aluminum construction for lasting durability. Spring-loaded windage and elevation knobs can be reset to ‘zero’ after sighting-in, for easy reference when making field adjustments. Windage and elevation turrets are clearly marked for quick adjustments.
- Spot On Ballistic Match Technology: Spot On allows you to discover all of the exact aiming points on the BDC PREDATOR reticle at various yardages for your specific caliber, ammunition and load.
- Rugged One-inch Aircraft Grade Aluminum Main Tube: Lightweight-yet-durable construction.
- Aluminum Quick Focus Eyepiece and Generous, Consistent Eye Relief: All-metal construction for trouble-free rotation and rugged performance with generous eye relief, to help you get on target quickly.
- LIFETIME REPAIR/REPLACEMENT: Excludes lost or stolen products and intentionally caused damage, and also excludes Nikon Rangefinders, Reflex Sights, Red Dot Sights, StabilEyes Binoculars & Specialty Optics.
Aside from aesthetic improvements of a rugged body, easy-to-manipulate turrets and a rubberized eye piece (nobody likes getting a “scope eye”) the Prostaff P3 series punches in at a relatively affordable price point as well. It has specialized reticles for all of the new models which should alleviate the need for Kentucky windage and a freshly licked thumb held high in the air. Next, we will examine each new offering individually to see if it has the quality and characteristics you might be looking for.
new nikon prostaff p3 predator hunter
The new Nikon Prostaff P3 Predator Hunter is currently being offered in 2 models. One is a 4-12x40mm BDC Predator while the other is a 3-9x40mm BDC Predator with MSRPs of $299.95 and $249.95 respectively. One trait that is unique to the P3 Predator Hunter is its BDC Reticle which Nikon further explains:
- BDC PREDATOR Reticle: The BDC PREDATOR reticle is designed to provide a clear view of the target and facilitate shots on moving targets.
new nikon prostaff p3 Target efr
Unlike the other models Nikon has introduced under the Prostaff P3 label, the P3 Target EFR only has one offering at this time and is setup for up rimfire. That scope is a 3-9x40mm AO (Adjustable Objective) with a Precision Target reticle punching in at an MSRP of $189.95 each. This scope also does not utilize their Spot On Technology because the reticle is not a BDC style. The reticle specific to this scope as well as the adjustable objective feature are elaborated upon by Nikon below:
- Precision Target Reticle: The adjustable objective lens allows sharp, parallax-free focusing as close as 10 yards all the way out to infinity.
- Adjustable Objective Lens: The adjustable objective lens allows sharp, parallax-free focusing as close as 10 yards all the way out to infinity.
new nikon prostaff p3 shotgun
The Nikon Prostaff P3 Shotgun will be offered in a 3-9x40mm BDC 200 and a 2-7x32mm BDC 200 with a $199.95 and $159.95 price point respectively. This dedicated shotgun scope, like all of the optics in the P3 series, has its own special reticle keeping in mind the velocities of today’s sabot slugs:
- BDC 200 Reticle: The BDC 200 reticle is designed for a 50-yard zero on the crosshair and provides 100, 150, 175 and 200 yard “ballistic circle” aiming points typical polymer-tipped sabot slugs with a muzzle velocity of approximately 1,900 – 2,000 FPS
new nikon prostaff p3 muzzleloader
For the new Nikon Prostaff P3 Muzzleloader there is one magnification range available of 3-9x40mm BDC 300, but available in two different finishes of matte blued or silver. The matte blued retails for $199.95 while $219.95 is the MSRP of the silver finish. Once again, we are looking at a reticle engineered for the ballistics and drop-off you would expect from blackpowder shooting:
- BDC 300 Reticle: The BDC 300 reticle is designed for .50 caliber muzzleloaders using a 150-grain Pyrodex charge (pellets or powder) and a 250-grain bullet, allowing the shooter to accurately and effectively shoot out to 300 yards.
Day by day as we move closer to fall and all of the hunting seasons that encompass that crisp, autumn air will any of these new scopes make their way to your rifles? Nikon is bringing a lot to the table with this new Prostaff P3 series and their purpose-driven reticles. Let us know in the comments what you think! We would be glad to hear your feedback.