Hitting our news desk in January, the Magpul suppressor cover promises to save you and your gear from burns caused by slinging a hot rifle. Even after only a few shots through a centerfire rifle setup, the outside of the suppressor can reach scalding temperatures. The Magpul suppressor cover is designed with a skeleton-like frame that keeps the cover itself at a stand-off distance, creating a drafting effect. The result is a cooler surface that is much less likely to melt clothes or skin.
Although only a 5.5” model (Surefire SOCOM RC2) is the only size for sale at the moment, other sizes are in development.
Word has it that the covers will be shipping by the time you read this. Hopefully we will have one to try out here on Silencer Saturday to give you some real world data.
The Magpul Suppressor Cover – 5.5” is the first product of its kind able to stand up to the extreme temperatures caused by extended strings of semiautomatic and automatic fire to protect the user and equipment against burns while also speeding up the cooling process. Constructed of a heat-resistant polymer sleeve overlaid onto a raised stainless steel heat shield that mounts directly to the suppressor body with steel clamps, the Magpul Suppressor Cover – 5.5” minimizes heat transfer to keep external cover temperatures up to 1000 degrees F cooler than the surface of the suppressor and allows cooling airflow across the can. Additionally, it serves as an enhanced thermal insulator and signature reduction device, significantly mitigating mirage distortions to the shooter’s sight picture, reducing the likelihood of impact damage to the suppressor body, and lessening the chance of accidental heat-related injury or damage to personnel or equipment during weapon firing and cool down. Optimized for 1.5” outer diameter round suppressors with a body length of approximately 5.5” (not including attachment hardware / interface) such as the Surefire SOCOM556-RC2. Other lengths are in the works and are coming soon.
- Extreme temperature protection that mitigates internal suppressor temperatures to safe levels
- Minimizes retained heat, allowing faster cooling than any other suppressor cover technology
- Reduces thermal signature of host firearm
- Mitigates mirage effects in sight picture
- Two stainless steel clamps provide a strong, rigid and reliable interface capable of sustained firing sessions and rough handling
- High temp polymer sleeve withstands brutal suppressor temperatures during extended periods of firing without deterioration
- High strength corrosion resistant stainless steel heat shield
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Weight: 9.6oz
- Outer Diameter (OD): 2.5″