BOTW: Ruger MK II Stainless Steel Host Pistol

Tom R
by Tom R

Our first installment of the new Build of the Week feature was submitted by Steve. One of my guilty pleasure pistols is my Ruger Mark I with a bull barrel. It is not suppressed like this one though.

So far we have had a pretty good response. So much that if we keep to one per week we are several months out now. If submissions continue to come in, we may switch to pushing two per week (let us know what you think in the comments).

You can submit your own build at https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/build-of-the-week-submission/


Build Details

  • Elite Iron integral suppressor – ported barrel, welded suppressor body, welding seams ground flush to the receiver, suppressor includes a toolkit for disassembly cleaning, bead blasted finish.  (To my knowledge, no other integral manufacturer actually welds the suppressor itself to the host successfully – most end up with a seam that can be hidden, but it is always there)
  • Volquartsen trigger group
  • Volquartsen rear sight
  • Tactical Solutions front sight blade
  • Crimson Trace laser grips (old style w/o wrap-around button)
  • Battlecloth Holster w/ storage for an extra magazine and copy of tax stamp

Groups just as well or better than the factory MKII target pistol with CCI Mini-Mag ammunition. Cycles with Gemtech suppressor .22LR subsonic, but due to the barrel porting, supersonic ammunition is usually better!


Comment below to ask Steve questions about his build.

Tom R
Tom R

Tom is a former Navy Corpsman that spent some time bumbling around the deserts of Iraq with a Marine Recon unit, kicking in tent flaps and harassing sheep. Prior to that he was a paramedic somewhere in DFW, also doing some Executive Protection work between shifts. Now that those exciting days are behind him, he teaches wilderness medicine and runs an on-demand medical staffing business. He hopes that his posts will help you find solid gear that will survive whatever you can throw at it--he is known (in certain circles) for his curse...ahem, ability...to find the breaking point of anything.You can reach him at tom.r AT thefirearmblog.com or at https://thomasrader.com

More by Tom R

Comments
Join the conversation
3 of 11 comments
  • Sunshine_Shooter Sunshine_Shooter on Jun 13, 2018

    Solid build. As to the posting 2 builds per week, I'd personally advise against it. The rate of submissions is bound to slow down considerably, and if you've burned through all your good ones already you'll end up posting not-great content just to keep the rate up.

  • Bert saxby Bert saxby on Jun 13, 2018

    Hey Steve great build!
    I like this because it appears to be shorter than the Amphibian.
    I don’t see any reference to this on Elite’s site-what’s the process?
    Cheers!

    • Steve Steve on Jun 13, 2018

      @bert saxby This is built on a standard barrel rather than bull, but the process is the same. I actually purchased a Mk II for this even though I owned a Mk III as I didn't like the loaded-chamber indicator and the heel magazine release is fine for me. Going off memory here (and inferring a bit from what I was told - I'm sure they keep a few secrets):

      The barrel is turned down and threaded on the end, I cannot remember the barrel length in the end, but it's pretty short! The ports are added to the grooves of the rifling only, and drilled initially and hand-lapped to the correct size to alleviate sharp edges. The receiver likely receives a small step on the lathe to locate the suppressor body. Suppressor body is tacked, welded, and ground clean - probably checked a few dozen times for straightness given warping from welding heat, but I suppose it could even be bored (probably not).

      Internally, there is a cap that threads onto the muzzle of the barrel itself using an included tool (that doubles as an internal carbon scraper if you flip it around). After the cap is in place forming the expansion chamber, the baffle stack is added and I think (again from memory) it was 5 K-type baffles. The muzzle cap then threads into the suppressor housing using another included tool compressing the stack. The front sight screw is cut to a VERY short length to clear the baffle stack and I used red Loctite on not only the threads but as a poor-man's bedding compound for the sight itself (it's worked pretty well on other projects even though it's not really designed for this!).

Next