If you’re a Californian who wants to keep your “evil features”, you most likely have heard of the Cross Armory Safe Mag – a fixed magazine locking system. TFB featured the device as a new product last year and since then its safe to say the Safe Mag and the Quick Pins Combo have become one of the more popular solutions on the market. Furthermore, and as a result of what I believe to be popular demand, Cross Armory has since expanded their product line to include The Pin Pal and the Safe Mag 2, which unlike the standard Safe Mag, accommodates most billet receivers. Along with the original quick pins, this trilogy combined allows for an easy reload and with that, isn’t the least expensive either (but with good reason).
Cross Armory’s SAFE MAG 2 is a modification, designed in California, for weapons in regulated states that require fixed magazines. The Cross Armory SAFE MAG works by releasing your magazine instantly when you separate the upper and lower receivers of your AR-15 or M4, without having to press a button.
Cross Armory’s SAFE MAG 2 is intended to be consistent with the fixed magazine laws which state that your weapon must have a “fixed magazine” which has been defined as “an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device can not be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.” The firearm action of an AR-15 and M4 is housed in the upper and lower receivers. Separating the upper and lower receiver to release your magazine disables the firearm action.
Cross Armory’s SAFE MAG 2 also allows for insertion of a new magazine when the upper receiver and lower receiver are closed, without bending or stressing the hardware of the weapon or of SAFE MAG 2.
Cross Armory’s SAFE MAG 2 is a reliable, durable and easy-to-install magazine release. When paired with the Cross Armory’s QUICK PINS, magazine changes can be performed efficiently and with a minimum of inconvenience to the user.
- Front takedown pin replacement – in heavily regulated states AR-15 owners are now opening their receivers with great frequency. A more durable pin system is needed to prevent undue wear on the forward pivot point – the upper receiver’s takedown pin hole
- Lubricated captive bearing reduces wear – standard steel front takedown pins bear directly on the holes in the aluminum receivers. PIN PAL bears on a lubricant-infused bearing
- Fits any standard ar-15 configuration – easily installs on virtually all AR-15/M4 weapons. The Captive Bearing can be press fit into any upper receiver without special tools
- Won’t permanently alter your weapon – If you decide to go with a different setup on your weapon, PIN PAL is easily removed and returned to the manufacturer’s factory set-up
- 4140 ordnance steel – our front takedown pin is machined from 4140 steel with a melonite hard-coating for durability. Our MIL-SPEC Captive Bearing is made from oil-infused, porous metal for reduced friction
- The AR-15 was not intended to be opened by the user with great frequency. Increased use translates into increased wear on the upper receiver’s takedown pin hole. Cross Armory’s PIN PAL transfers the rotational wear from a steel pin bearing on the aluminum receiver to a steel pin bearing on a pre-lubricated MIL-SPEC metal bearing, keeping your gun as tight as it was from the factory.