So what’s this you’re asking, and what does it have to do with shooting?
I’ll tell you, if you do a lot of shooting indoors this mask could be a pretty sound investment.
A friend of mine does a lot of shooting inside buildings, he could spend several full days in a week instructing. He went on a medical check and found that the lead levels in his blood were much too high.
I did some indoor shooting with my open gun, and I felt really bad afterwards. My throat had some serious issues, so I stopped doing it. Shooting outside is much better, even if it’s really cold.
My friend is now on a detox program and the results look promising, but needless to say he’s been looking for options.
It’s hard to instruct with a mask, but the alternatives are worse in the long run. This mask from Ops-Core could be one solution.
- Offers at least 99.97% filtration efficiency against airborne particulates including Lead, Asbestos, lubricant mist, and explosive gunfire residue
- Non microphone or microphone version available, compatible with standard ground communications headsets to enable radio communications
- Seamlessly integrates with NVGs and other eye protection products, as well as over the ear hearing protection products
- Two exhalation valves for easier breathing
- Easy to adjust suspension straps suspension straps to be worn with or without a helmet
- Flexible and lightweight silicone face piece with a wide, wraparound, and pleated design to enable the respirator to fit to a large variety of facial types
- Front mounted inhalation valves and cartridge ports for an enhanced field-of-vision and a quick one-handed filter change
- Protective pouch to store attachment options and filters
Founded in 2005 with the introduction of a unique, modular, scalable, open-architecture helmet system design for Special Operations Forces, Ops-Core was acquired in 2011 by Gentex Corporation, a global leader in personal protection and situational awareness solutions for defense forces, emergency responders and industrial personnel for over 100 years. With its global resources, Gentex is meeting the growing demand for Ops-Core branded products while continuing Ops-Core’s tradition of providing the most advanced helmet systems for the elite warrior.
You can find the mask here.
The price for this mask, or Tactical Respirator, is $291.00, and you can use a microphone with it.
If you have similar experiences, problems and solutions please let everyone know below. While this product looks like top quality I am hoping there are cheaper options.