Shooters looking for a capable, feature-rich polymer pistol with a value price point could be in luck. Ruger just announced the release of the Security-9 – an internal hammer-fired pistol with a manual safety and a fire control system with roots back to the LCP line of pistols. But, with only a cursory glance available to us at the moment, the most striking feature appears to be the price. With an MSRP of $379, we have a realistic chance at seeing the Security-9 break the $300 mark when it finally lands on local store shelves.
Besides the below spec sheets, real-world details on the Security-9 are still a bit slim. Even though there are two new models in the line, the only difference appears to be a 15+1 magazine configuration vs a 10+1 setup for restricted states.
Of course, Ruger’s new offering is only available in the king (and current reigning champion) of the caliber wars: 9mm.
- Compact for easy concealment, the mid-sized Security-9® is designed to ﬁt a variety of available holsters and concealed carry options.
- Rugged construction with blued, through-hardened alloy steel slide and barrel and high-performance, glass-ﬁlled nylon grip frame.
- Precision machined, hard coated aluminum chassis with full-length guide rails.
- The Secure-Action used in the LCP® II and Security-9® is derived from the reliable and proven hammer-ﬁred LCP® ﬁre control system. The Secure-Action combines the smooth trigger pull of the LCP® with the short, crisp feel and positive reset of a single action.
- Textured grip frame provides a secure and comfortable grip.
- Dovetailed, high-visibility sight system with drift adjustable rear sight and ﬁxed front sight. Sights can be easily changed out for different color options (available separately).
- Internal, Secure-Action hammer provides strong ignition force yet allows for easier slide racking when compared with many striker-ﬁred pistols. Front cocking serrations enable positive slide manipulation.
- Safety features include bladed trigger safety; neutrally balanced sear with signiﬁcant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the ﬁring pin unless the trigger is pulled.
- Safe, easy takedown with no special tools or trigger pull.
- Also includes: two alloy steel magazines
- MSRP: $379