When I look at the pictures of the new Aimpoint CompM5 it looks like an Aimpoint Micro, just a tiny bit larger and with a different battery compartment.
TFB and Frank.K already covered the basics of the new Aimpoint CompM5 and in case you missed it or need to refresh your memory you can check again here.
There is also the basics from Aimpoint.com – https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-compm5/
The CompM5™ is a high performance red dot sight developed for military and law enforcement applications. Aimpoint red dot sights are designed for the “both eyes open” method which greatly enhances situational awareness and target acquisition. Thanks to the optical design the red dot follows the movement of the user’s eye while remaining fixed on target, eliminating any need for centering.
The CompM5 allows for unlimited eye relief and is compatible with Aimpoint 3XMag-1 and 6XMag-1 magnifiers as well as all generations of Night Vision Devices (NVD).
The battery life for the CompM5 is over 5 years of continuous use while at the pos. 7, more than 1 year of use at pos. 8, and more than 10 years at NVD settings (pos. 1 to 4).
- Mountable on MIL-STD 1913 Rail system/Picatinny rail
- Advanced optical lenses with a protective front window
- High, AAA battery compartment
- Compatible with every generation of NVD
- 2 MOA dot for close combat and long distance engagement
- Matches perfectly with Aimpoint 3XMag-1 and 6XMag-1 magnifiers
- Excellent light transmission
- Extremely robust housing design, same ruggedness as the CompM4 sights with less weight
- Submersible to a depth of 45 m (150 ft)
- Mount base is keyed into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil
- Weight 238 g (8.4 oz) standard configuration, sight only 148 g (5.2 oz)
- ACET technology allows 50,000 hours (over 5 years) of constant operation with one battery
- 4 NVD settings and 6 daylight settings
- Mechanical switch for speed and reliability
Front and rear covers to protect the lenses.
In the video you can see it with Aimpoint LRP mount, see more details here: https://www.aimpoint.com/product/micro-mount-lrp/
There is also a spacer mounted, probably the 39 mm high.
YouTube: Larry Vickers Talks about the Aimpoint CompM5
The Aimpoint CompM5 sight is the smallest in the Comp Series of sights. Powered by a AAA battery, the CompM5 boasts an amazing 50,000 hours (over 5 years) of constant-on use with a single battery.
And as one viewer commented: “Looks like he’s got a faulty charging handle latch on that rifle. It’s jumping in and out of the gun at 0:58”
Another thing I note is that apart from the fact that the CompM5 is about 8 grams too heavy (literally nothing), it fits the description of what Sweden’s Armed Forces are looking to buy for their Ak5C and Ak5D rifles. They need 5 000 pieces and you can read more about the tender here.
Question is will they buy the Aimpoint Micro’s or the CompM5 – or go crazy with a foreign brand?
Maximum length: 90 mm, Width: 50 mm and height 60 mm.
Total weight should not exceed 230 g including sight mount, lens covers and battery when mounted to the rail.
I have not been able to find a price for the Aimpoint CompM5 yet.