Our good friend Lionel spotted the new Aimpoint M5Comp in the wild at DSEi 2017 in London. The CompM5 is powered by a single AAA with an advertised battery life of 5,000 hours. According to marketing material, at intensity level 7 it has 5 years of battery life, and at intensity level 8 it has one year of battery life.
It features a 2 MOA dot and weighs 238 g (8.4 oz) in a standard configuration.
From the press release …
The CompM5™ is a high performance red dot sight developed for military and law enforcement applications. Aimpoint red dot sights are designed for the “both eyes open” method which greatly enhances situational awareness and target acquisition. Thanks to the optical design the red dot follows the movement of the user’s eye while remaining fixed on target, eliminating any need for centering.
The CompM5 allows for unlimited eye relief and is compatible with Aimpoint 3XMag-1 and 6XMag-1 magnifiers as well as all generations of Night Vision Devices (NVD).
The battery life for the CompM5 is over 5 years of continuous use while at the pos. 7, more than 1 year of use at pos. 8, and more than 10 years at NVD settings (pos. 1 to 4).
- Mountable on MIL-STD 1913 Rail system/Picatinny rail
- Advanced optical lenses with a protective front window
- High, AAA battery compartment
- Compatible with every generation of NVD
- 2 MOA dot for close combat and long distance engagement
- Matches perfectly with Aimpoint® 3XMag-1 and 6XMag-1 magnifiers
- Excellent light transmission
- Extremely robust housing design, same ruggedness as the CompM4 sights with less weight
- Submersible to a depth of 45 m (150 ft)
- Mount base is keyed into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil
- Weight 238 g (8.4 oz) standard configuration, sight only 148 g (5.2 oz)
- ACET technology allows 50,000 hours (over 5 years) of constant operation with one battery
- 4 NVD settings and 6 daylight settings
- Mechanical switch for speed and reliability