Having already established itself firmly in the battle rifle cartridge sphere, the Ruger Precision Rifle has opted to shrink and take on the intermediate caliber crowd. Ruger has announced the release of a 5.56 version of the platform optimized for the shorter cartridges.
Like its big brother, the 5.56 version of the Ruger Precision Rifle maintains the in-line recoil system, with the recoil impulse going straight to the rear and into the AR-compatible full-adjustable stock. Ruger maintains the emphasis on modularity, with AR-style grips & selectors, the mentioned AR style buffer tube compatibility, threaded bolt knob, and AR compatible (with adapters) handguard.
Initial release has only a single SKU, a 20″, cold-hammer forged, 5R rifled barrel clocking in at a 1/7″ twist rate – ideal for most 69 grain and heavier target loads. Chambering is a “5.56 NATO Target” affair likely similar to .223 Wylde and touts 5.56 NATO compatibility. The integral upper receiver rail is set at a 20 MOA downward declination for longer shots, and both receivers are machined from excellent materials – 4140 for the upper and 7075-T6 for the lower.
The bolt is a 70 degree throw with three locking lugs and dual cocking cams with a full diameter bolt body. Sadly, the lower does not mention AR magazine compatibility, opting for AICS style magazines.
Retail is set at $1,599. Street prices will likley hover there for the initial release and work their way down as Ruger catches up with demand.
- StockFolding, Adjustable Length of Pull and Comb Height
- Barrel Length20″
- BarrelCold Hammer-Forged, 5R Rifling
- HandguardRuger Precision Rifle™ Short-Action
- Twist1:7″ RH
- Weight9.8 lb.
- Overall Length39.25″–42.75″
- Length of Pull12″ – 15.50″
- Folded Length31.60″
- Suggested Retail$1599.00
Details from Ruger:
- 5.56 NATO “Target” chamber safely accommodates 5.56 NATO cartridges while providing maximum projectile control and accuracy for both 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem cartridges.
- Medium-contour barrel features a Ruger Precision Rifle® Hybrid Muzzle Brake to effectively reduce recoil while minimizing noise and blast to the sides of the shooter (thread protector included).
- Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspace and centralized chamber.
- 20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four, #8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities.
- “Upper” receiver and one-piece bolt are precision CNC-machined from pre-hardened 4140 chrome-moly steel to minimize distortion.
- Three-lug bolt with 70° throw features dual cocking cams and a smooth-running, full diameter bolt body.
- In-line recoil path manages recoil directly from the rear of the receiver to the buttstock, not through a traditional bedding system, providing maximum accuracy potential.
- Ruger® Precision MSR stock with QD sling attachment points features a bottom Picatinny rail and soft rubber buttpad. The left-folding stock hinge is attached to an AR-style buffer tube and accepts any AR-style stock. Length of pull and comb height are adjustable.
- Equipped with a Ruger Precision Rifle® Short-Action Handguard for improved scope clearance for long-range scopes.
- Magazine well front is contoured for a positive grip for bracing against shooting supports.
- Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation, with 5/16″-24 thread for easy replacement. Bolt disassembly tool is stored in the bolt shroud for easy striker channel cleaning. Also features a Ruger Precision Rifle™ Billet Aluminum Bolt Shroud.
- “Lower” magazine well halves are precision machined from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum and are Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability.
- Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger is externally adjustable with a pull weight range of 2.25 to 5.0 lbs.; wrench is stored in the bolt shroud.
- Extended trigger-reach AR-style grip and 45° reversible safety selector. May be configured with any AR-style grip and selector.
- Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges.
- Also includes: Two, 10-round, Ruger AI-Style Precision Rifle magazines compatible with longer, higher ballistic coefficient projectiles.