With the upcoming deadlines looming for the new California “Assault Weapons” law (I use the quotes as sarcasm, as I vigorously disagree with the term and intent of the state’s legislature), the floodgates have opened with the first public discontinuance of a “California Compliant” rifle model.
Arsenal, the Bulgarian AK manufacturer, has formally announced that two of their “California Compliant” models, the SAM7SF-84C (side folding stock) and SAMUF-85C (underfolding) have been discontinued, as the supply of CA compliant parts has been exhausted.
The CA Compliant SAM7R-61C looks to still be in production, but it is highly likely the quantities are limited. With lead times for various “California Compliant” bits being measured in months, it is unlikely that any significant quantities can be produced before the end-of-year deadline.
Further, with various companies competing for the same components, Arsenal running out means that other companies are likely running low too. Those in California should take note and act quickly or otherwise lose the ability to purchase the rifles factory new.
Statement from Arsenal:
Arsenal Inc. appreciates the 2nd Amendment supporters and our enthusiasts from California and we remain dedicated to “The Right to Bear Arms” for everyone.
However, given the current laws and regulations in California and with less than 3 months left for the new laws to take effect, we regret to announce that the production of two of our California compliant rifles, the SAM7SF-84C and SAM7UF-85C has come to an end as of October 10th, 2016. All components for making the SAM7UF and SAM7SF into fixed stock California compliant rifles have been manufactured and the last units have rolled out of our production lines.
Features (courtesy of Arsenal):
• 100% new-production parts and components.
• Bulgarian hot-die hammer forged receiver, bolt, bolt carrier and double-hook trigger
• Cold hammer-forged 16.3” barrel from Arsenal’s Bulgarian factory, built on Steyr manufacturing technology
• Hard-chrome plated bore and chamber
• Removable 4-port muzzle brake with 14x1mm left-hand threads.
• Scope rail.
• Intermediate length US-made 10” trapdoor buttstock. (Total length of pull 13.4”.)
• 922(r) compliant with US or imported magazines.
• Substantially extended service life over other types of assemblies.