Honor Defense has introduced their new Honor Guard series of sub-compact 9mm handguns. Designed with usability in mind, the new handguns have a variety of features and options that will appeal to the market (that I personally feel was left hanging by the so-so Glock 43).
The Honor Guard series is designed to be sub-compact 9mm handguns replete with features that are typically found on higher-cost offerings. The handgun is 100% completely and totally ambidextrous. The magazine release and the slide release are both mirrored on the handgun. If one wanted to opt for a manual safety model, the safety is mirrored on both sides too, with placement and operation like the common 1911 platform.
Of personal interest is their FIST (Firearm with Integrated Standoff) which features a lower picatinny rail longer than the slide itself. It creates an unusual looking firearm, but I can see how it would keep a user from accidentally putting a finger or hand in front of the muzzle.
However, it is likely that the FIST frame is designed for the upcoming “Long Slide” versions which Honor Defense is saying is coming soon. If that is the case, I am highly interested to see what the long-slide can do. For me, its much easier to conceal a slide than it is a grip and with the long slide means a better sight picture and more velocity, a win-win.
My only complaint? The Honor Guard lettering on the sides is a little over-the-top. MSRP is pegged at $499, with the first guns shipping (supposedly) in November.
We will request one for review and see if its everything I hope for.
Full Features List, Courtesy of Honor Defense:
- – Custom designed grip with an advanced texture that provides a secure grip for better control
- – Short crisp trigger with a short re-set for more accurate shooting
- – Snag-free sights that won’t catch on your clothes when drawing the pistol
- – Serrations that go over the top of the slide for easier racking
- – Ambidextrous slide catch to fit everyone
- – Ambidextrous magazine release to fit everyone
- – Two (2) magazines (7 round and an 8 round)
- – Two (2) sizes of backstraps so you can customize the fit for you