When Steyr announced the SSG Carbon at the 2014 SHOT Show, they were hit with an overwhelming demand for the guns from the law enforcement sector. According to the company, it took them 16 months to meet that demand, and now they have released the gun for sale to the US consumer.
The carbon fiber stock is not made using woven fabric. Instead the company uses a Sheet Molding Compound similar to the construction found in the load bearing members of aircraft and Formula 1 cars.
The rifle uses the same barreled action and brake as the SSG 08. The stock has an adjustable cheekpiece, rubber butt pad and rear elevation monopod. The pistol grip is wrapped in rubber.
Steyr Arms Rifle Specifications
- Model: SSG Carbon
- Operation: Bolt-action repeating
- Caliber: .308 Winchester
- Magazine type/capacity: Polymer double-stack detachable box/10 rounds
- Action material: 25CrMo4 steel
- Barrel: 20- and 22.4-inch cold-hammer-forged heavy barrel
- Rifling: 4 Grooves, 1:10 RH Twist
- Sights: 20-MOA Picatinny rail
- Finish: Mannox®
- Safety: 3+1 Position Safety
- Trigger type: Single-stage
- Pull weight: 3 pounds, 8 ounces (user adjustable)
- Stock material/type: SMC carbon fiber
- Length of pull: 14.25 inches min. (0.33-inch inserts available)
- Drop at comb: +0.85 to -0.9 inches vertical adjustment
- Comb adjustments: 0.5 inches longitudinal; 0.133 inch lateral (rotationally adjustable)
- Drop at heel: +1.07 to -3.8 inches vertical adjustment
- Recoil pad: Elastomer; 0.8-inch thick
- Sling swivels: Two removable push-and-turn style
- Pistol grip: Polymer with interchangeable rubber inserts
- Checkering: None
- Weight, empty: 11 pounds, 2 ounces
- Overall length: 43.4 inches
- Included accessories: Owner’s manual, Versa-pod or HD bipod, continuously adjustable rear-elevation pod, one detachable box magazine, hard travel case, sling swivels
- MSRP: $3,695
Phil Note: We also have one of these ordered for review!