I’ve been surprised by the recent spate of niche and sometimes highly polarizing specialty offerings. Don’t get me wrong, in any industry those “moto” items come in spades, but the firearms industry is typically more conservative in their approach. Of note, the Spike’s Crusader comes to mind. Other options include customized AR-15 lowers with special safety/selector markings. (On a personal note – I rather like the “Pew Pew” versions. They make the child in me giggle).
I guess it should come really as no surprise to see the latest Mec-Gar 1911 magazine. Instead of picking a polarizing message, Mec-Gar has opted to engrave the full American Constitution’s Second Amendment onto the sides of their 8 round .45 ACP 1911 magazine. I am perhaps only surprised by the manufacturer – expecting Wilson, Chip McCormick, or another American company to offer the option.
Outside the engraving, the magazine is largely Mec-Gar’s standard and reliable offering. The magazine is manufactured from blued carbon steel, includes a Type D music wire spring, features a polymer follower, and has numbered witness holes to determine rounds remaining.
The retail price of the magazine is set at $29.20. 10% of the proceeds will go to pro-second amendment organizations. The press release does not go into detail on the chosen organizations.
- Caliber .45
- Increased capacity of 8-rounds
- Text of the US Consitution 2nd Amendment laser engraved on the magazine
- Carbon Steel tube, heat-treated for strength
- Internal components are linked together to offer easy disassembly and reassembly
- Lubricated nylon polymer follower with metal insert where the slide stop activates properly aligns all types of ammunition for the most reliable feeding.
- Spring is manufactured from from higher tensile music wire with a drawn phosphate coating for easier coiling properties and longer service life
- Redesigned high impact polymer removable butt-plate is tapered to to fit funneled mag wells