We all know that Magpul PMAGs are one of the best options for AR-15 mags, but sadly it took literally forever for the US Military to figure out just that. Not terribly long ago the United States Marine Corps selected the new Medium Coyote Tan PMAGs in the Gen 3 flavor for their general issue magazines. The new MCT colored mags were developed specifically for the US Army in response to their weapons natural signature program and carry over all of the features found on existing Gen 3 PMAGs.
The Medium Coyote Tan PMAGs are already in the distribution pipeline and can be purchased at your favorite retailer or on Magpul’s website, although it looks like the price is a bit on the steep side through Magpul directly.
Some of the much appreciated Gen 3 features are listed below:
- Next-generation impact and crush resistant polymer construction
- Modified dimensions allow for wider compatibility with non Colt-spec platforms
- Constant-curve internal geometry for smooth feeding
- Anti-tilt, self-lubricating follower for increased reliability
- Long life USGI-spec stainless steel spring
- Over-travel insertion stop on the spine
- Ribbed gripping surface and new aggressive front and rear texture for positive magazine handling
- Paint pen dot matrix panels on the bottom of the body to allow for identification marking
- Flared floorplate aids magazine handling and disassembly yet is slim enough for use with many double and triple pouches
- Pop-off Impact/Dust Cover to minimize debris intrusion and for ammunition protection in storage and transit
While early PMAGs had some teething issues, the Gen 3 PMAGs appear to be ready to use with just about every weapons platform that takes a STANAG magazine. As with other colors of the Gen 3 PMAGs, they are available in both windowed and non-windowed variations.