Cerakote has recently introduced a new series of their firearm coatings called Elite Series. It is a more advanced coating compared to their H-Series. Particularly, they improved the hardness, abrasion resistance, and lubricity. New Elite Series also results in a thinner coating layer than the previous ones. According to the manufacturer, the Elite Series provides three times better corrosion protection and six times better abrasion resistance than Teflon does. It is also claimed to be 30 times better than the Melonite and Ionbond finishes in mentioned categories.
The new finish has a single layer application with followed oven curing. Currently, Elite Series coatings come in six different colors called Midnight, Jungle, Smoke, Sand, Concrete and Earth. It is also possible to mix the colors and get a custom one without altering the mechanical properties of the finish.
The technical properties of the new coating are the following (from Cerakote.com):
When we say performance we mean:
* Exceeds 9h scratch and gouge hardness (ASTM D33630
* Taber abrasion greater than 8000 wear cycles per mil (ASTM D4060)
* Corrosion resistance more than 3000 hours (ASTM B117)
* Direct and indirect impact resistance of 160 in-lbs. (ASTM D2794)
* 0mm coating loss at 180* mandrel bend (ASTM D522)
* Coefficient of Friction rivaling Teflon at 0.11 (Steady-State Dynamic Coefficient of Friction Under Load)
* Extremely high chemical resistance (Specific chemical performance available by request)
Cerakote has also released an updated version of their training video, which includes instructions for Elite too. There are several differences in application process compared to H-Series. As an instance, H-Series have a different coating to catalyst mixing ratios and curing temperatures. In the case of Elite Series, the mentioned ratio is 18:1 only and curing temperature is 300°F only.
MSRP for various volumes of new coatings are as follows: $35 for 4 oz tester, $70 for a pint (16 oz), $110 for a quart (32 oz) and $349 is the price of one gallon of Cerakote Elite coating.