A few months ago, Ruger announced that they were discontinuing the 77/22, 77/357 and 77/44 line of bolt action rifles, leaving me a bit disheartened. My spirits have been buoyed a bit with the introduction of a present model upgrade. The Newport New Hampshire-based gunmaker just announced the newest version of the American Rimfire rifle – the Target.
Much of the standard American features remain, including my favorite – a threaded barrel for adding the the silencer of your choice. However, the Target adds a integral scope rail, a heavier bull barrel and a laminate stock. An MSRP of $499 means this rimfire rifle will be competing with the best of the economically-priced sub MOA shooters. Namely CZ-USA and Savage.
The American continues to fill some of the void left by the dearly departed 77/22. However, I’d still like to see a bolt action Ruger that uses the 10/22 barrel system. The aftermarket support for 10/22 options is just too vast to pass over.
Personally I am hoping that we will see pistol-caliber Americans debut in the not too distant future. Please Ruger?
- Models chambered in .22 LR feature the patented, detachable, flush-mounted 10/22® BX-1 10-round rotary magazine and accept all 10/22® magazines, including the BX-25®, BX-25®x2 and BX-15®.
- Models chambered in .22 Magnum and .17 HMR use the detachable, flush-mounted JMX-1 9-round rotary magazine.
- Easy-to-use 10/22®-style extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.
- Patent-pending Power Bedding® integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.
- Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds, allowing shooters to make that perfect shot.
- Features a visible, accessible and easy-to-actuate tang safety that provides instant security.
- Cold hammer-forged 0.860″ target barrel for exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. Factory-installed knurled thread protector protects the crown.
- A 60° bolt provides ample scope clearance and the easy-to-use, receiver-mounted bolt release allows the bolt to be readily removed without requiring a pull of the trigger, a unique safety feature among rimfire, bolt-action rifles.
- Factory-installed one-piece Picatinny aluminum scope rail.
- Black laminate stock features an Alexander Henry forend in addition to sling swivels front and rear, to help you steady your aim whether shooting off of sticks, a bipod, or sling. Rubber buttpad anchors the rifle at the rear.